ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS4 locks up when I try to render!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan GilmoreAE CS4 locks up when I try to render!!!
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 1:01:07 am

I'm constantly getting the spinning beach ball of death. My project won't render! What is AE doing? When I open the Activity Monitor utility, the CPU usage always goes over 100% when I press Render...so if on the rare occasion it does render, it takes 10 or 15 minutes to start. I have a decent machine, it should be able to handle this...the project isn't even full HD.

Snow Leopard 10.6.5
Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16GB RAM
After Effects CS4 (9.0.3)

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: AE CS4 locks up when I try to render!!!
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 11:36:23 am

Can you give some more information of what is in your project? i.e., footage types, graphics files, effects, etc.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Ryan GilmoreRe: AE CS4 locks up when I try to render!!!
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 12:51:17 pm

My project is 1920 x 818. There are some Tiff sequences at that size, mixed with a few 3D planes in After Effects's 3D space. I am using a few third party plugs...Optical Flares and Out of Focus.

I'm rendering out to a Quicktime movie.

It has a hard time rendering that first frame, sometimes it makes it, often it chokes on it.

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: AE CS4 locks up when I try to render!!!
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 1:26:25 pm

Do you have multi-processing enabled? If so, maybe try disabling it or adjusting the settings. I've found that multi-processing settings can have a huge effect on whether a render chokes or not. On occasion, and I've no idea what the exact issue is, I've had problems with TIFF files inside AE. Just as a test, maybe convert your TIFF sequences to something like PNGs and see if you still have the same issues. At least you might be able to eliminate a couple of possible causes.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Ryan GilmoreRe: AE CS4 locks up when I try to render!!!
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 1:46:23 pm

I've tried it with multi-processing on and off. I'm going to try and turn off the effects and try a second pass, and maybe flatten the 3D elements as a pre-render.

Why can't Adobe include smarter automatic rendering settings? Doing this all manually reminds me of assigning amounts of RAM to programs in Mac Classic.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]