ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need a few links on kinetic type that's expressive

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danielle Masek
Need a few links on kinetic type that's expressive
on Nov 30, 2011 at 9:55:13 pm

It's for my next school project. We're not even allowed to do the stereotypical "90 degree rotations" of words that's seen everywhere (which is fine w/me). We have to have the motion design really match the words. I'm doing part of a heavy rock song and want to do something a bit gritty, obnoxious, dark. A good example I found, though not of lyrics, or of a dark mood, is 'the girl effect' (http://www.girleffect.org/video)--it captures the mood of the speech.
Also I've never done this type of animation.
I read it's best to type out your words in illustrator first, on layers. But if you don't know quite how you want to animate the sentences/words/even letters, how can you type it out before hand? If I type some phrases out, then decide I don't want to animate that phrase, I'll have to break it up anyway. Isn't it better to make it in AE?
Any GRITTY examples of this? I will search youtube and see, thought uploaders sometimes don't tag them right.

**I look down at where you're standing
Flock of sheep all on display
With all your lies piled up around you
I can take it all away**

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Need a few links on kinetic type that's expressive
on Nov 30, 2011 at 10:15:25 pm

[Danielle Masek] "....But if you don't know quite how you want to animate the sentences/words/even letters, how can you type it out before hand? "

You could start with a storyboard. This easily could be part of the instructor's unspoken, yet devious plan....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Danielle Masek
on Dec 1, 2011 at 2:31:28 am

Ok, yes it could hehe. I will do that anyway. Still some examples of something gritty would help.

I can take it all away**

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 1, 2011 at 4:41:23 am

I'd encourage you to check out Art of the Title [link].

In my mind, the most effective kinetic type pieces visualize the ideas behind the writing (beyond just the letterforms), treat words and art as dramatic characters with a sense of plot, and maximize the impact of transitions to actually advance the story rather than simply getting from one slide to the next.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Danielle Masek
on Dec 2, 2011 at 5:10:58 am

I looked at that site for my previous project for an intro sequence. Thing is, this can't just be well designed transitions and showing imagery and information; I need to synch the word animations to music so I need, I guess, more specialized examples of specifically kinetic type. I know the feel I want for it but what to do for the synched up animations is--not so much. I'm trying to work on the storyboard now--not easy with no ideas.

I can take it all away**

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]