ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Advice for KEYING out WATER

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yves BourgeoisAdvice for KEYING out WATER
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:20:14 pm

Hey everyone, I'm a long-time browser, first-time poster.

I'm in pre-prod for a shot where I'm looking to key water being splashed, with nothing else in frame, no talent or anything. The footage will be super-slow motion, either by overcranking in-camera, or with Twixtor if I can't get the gear I want.

My question is how to go best go about this to avoid any pitfalls, or nightmares in post. What I've found so far suggests to shoot on black, as green screen will bleed through, and to light from underneath. Any thoughts on this? Anyone with experience? It seems hard to believe that no black would be leftover and the complexity of the water would make rotoscoping almost impossible, and I really don't want to go there anyways...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Advice for KEYING out WATER
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:49:39 pm

I'll reiterate what I wrote on the Final Cut Pro Forum:

It's one thing to say, "I want to key water splashing." The real question is "why?"

Once you have this shot -- however you end up getting it -- what's the necessity for keying it in the first place? Why wouldn't placing the subject in the appropriate environment work even better?

Without additional information about the entire shot, it's difficult to give reliable advice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Advice for KEYING out WATER
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 11:32:30 pm

I agree with Dave- unless you plan to use the water shots in a black environment, far away from any other objects, it will look strange since it should pick up reflections from whatever is around. What is your final use for this water?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Yves BourgeoisRe: Advice for KEYING out WATER
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 11:41:39 pm

Hi Dave,

The conversation kept going over on the FCP side, sorry to double post.

But to answer your question, it is quite fine in this instance that the water not look 100% natural, but that is a valid point for sure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved