ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Optimizing Network

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke ReedOptimizing Network
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 6:31:32 pm

Operating our small production company entirely across a local network has worked flawlessly for the last couple years. Recently, as we continue to grow, I have found the network has started to slow down- clearly understandable. I am now trying to increase our network speed and looking for any suggestions.

Our company specifically creates 5-30min flv videos with final resolution of 640x360. We shoot on Sony HDV cams at 1440x1080 , capture through firewire with CS5 Premiere and then create videos in CS5 AE with work comps 640x360. We have around 10 workstations operating windows 7 each with their own gigabit connection. We work entirely across a network share located on a windows sbs 2008 all connected over a gigabit switch. I understand working over a network is unconventional workflow but is necessary because of our short deadlines, numerous client revisions and multiple editors working on each project- Version control on individual machines would be next to impossible.

One suggestion I came across was using an iscsi san for all of the video files, with the san and the designers hooked up to a dedicated managed switch. Thoughts?

Thanks for you time-Luke

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Optimizing Network
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:01:14 pm

I can't speak to the issue of a speedier network. But I can tell you that you've temporarily painted yourself into a corner as far as Adobe software upgrades are concerned.

There are known issues with AE 10.5 rendering over a network: rendered files are often incomplete, and don't play back properly. It doesn't happen when files are rendered to local drives.

Adobe says it's working on a fix, but so far there hasn't been any progress as far as I know. So if you were looking forward to using Warp Stabilizer to help fix the occasional unsteady shot, you might want to temporarily reconsider upgrading.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Luke ReedRe: Optimizing Network
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 10:49:19 pm

Initially we were concerned with the the quicktime render errors that I saw associated with CS5. Ironically none of the described errors I've read have given us any problems. I render probably 5-10 different .movs a day across our network. I also have 3 render machines that work across the network. I'm staying clear of 10.5 and hoping the next full version fixes the issues.Knock on wood I suppose. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Optimizing Network
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 9:17:31 pm

Working with video over gigabit Ethernet is much more common now that you might think.

Go ask this question in the SAN - Storage Area Networks forum [link]. Be prepared to get yelled at a bit by Bob Zelin -- but take his advice, because he is a genius.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved