ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

master effects control switch

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fadi Baqimaster effects control switch
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 1:37:05 pm

I have a composition with over a hundred layers (as well as loads of nested compositions) with a variety of effects on each which are taxing the render time to no end. Because each layer has a variety of effects (some slidery, some on/offy) linking each property to a slider on a null would mean unique code for each property.

Is there a simpler method of linking all those effects to a null layer's switch so that they can be switched on and off simultaneously?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: master effects control switch
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:11:14 pm

See Layer switches and columns in the Timeline panel [link]. Click the FX switch in the timeline to disable or enable all effects for a layer.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Fadi BaqiRe: master effects control switch
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:20:29 pm

Thank you, Walter. I am aware of the layer switches in the timeline, but I am looking for something that I can link specific effects to, without turning off others.

So if a layer has 7 effects, I want to link 4 of them to a switch on a null and then do that to the rest of the 100 layers.

Once that is set up, I can switch off the render-intensive effects to work and then switch them back on when I output.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:25:18 pm

Sorry I misunderstood!

There's no easy way to do what you're describing, short of writing some relatively complicated expressions.

You might, however, be able to use proxies [link] to make your workflow faster.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: master effects control switch
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:53:06 pm

The Solo switch can isolate only the layer on which you work, which can speed up the work quite a lot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: master effects control switch
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:43:00 pm

There is no Main Switch for an effect. One may however fake it by changing property values to a number where the effect does not affect the layer. However, this does not switch off the effect.

You'll need a javascript to get this done. Here's one - http://aescripts.com/pt_effectsearch/

AND Welcome Back Dave!

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: master effects control switch
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:46:40 pm

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "AND Welcome Back Dave!"

Thank you. Sometimes people need time away from things to gain proper perspective about them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:06:10 pm

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "You'll need a javascript to get this done. Here's one - http://aescripts.com/pt_effectsearch/"

This is a great solution to the problem.

Here's a tip for working with pt_EffectSearch: remember that you can rename applied effects. For example, if you want to be able to isolate some instances (but not all) of a specific effect, append some tag after it. Then you can search for the tag instead of the effect name.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Fadi BaqiRe: master effects control switch
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 9:55:30 am

That is a nifty solution, indeed. Thank you guys for the help. I'm surprised effects switches aren't animatable as I imagine wanting to turn off effects to speed up work is a common problem.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: master effects control switch
by on Dec 1, 2011 at 3:45:04 pm

[Fadi Baqi] " I'm surprised effects switches aren't animatable as I imagine wanting to turn off effects to speed up work is a common problem."

You can access effect properties via Expressions BUT the effect itself is accessible only via a Javascript. You'll notice that effect properties have the stopwatch icon, which is how you access the Expression script area. However, the effect itself doesn't include a stopwatch icon.

There are ways to achieve what you want by using Expressions to mimic switching off an effect but each effect has to be tackled differently. You will have to find the 'trigger' or 'master' property that helps to eliminate the effect's effect on the layer. However, this does not switch off the effect. Hence, you won't see the productivity gains that you're after.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]