ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Working with Layered PSD's (for animation) & Greenscreen Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Newville
Working with Layered PSD's (for animation) & Greenscreen Footage
on Nov 30, 2011 at 6:43:56 am

How would you handle this type of situation with After Effects & Premiere as your tools:

What needs to be done?: Animate UI elements (from layered PSD files) of a company's software, with Greenscreen footage (h.246 mov files) of a guy explaining what the software does.

Some of you may see this as cheating, but I could really use your advice on efficient workflow. I have less than 3 days to finish a 12 minute video.

I know what I need to animate but I do not have the most efficient workflow. So I would be very interested hearing how you might handle a job like this.

Thanks.

ShaneNewville.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Working with Layered PSD's (for animation) & Greenscreen Footage
on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:13:07 am

Without a script/storyboard it's hard to be specific, but off the top of my head here's what I would do:
Cut the chroma footage of the actor in PremierePro.
Use Dynamic Link to work on each shot in AE to do the compositing and animation. Make sure you keep the AE project open once you start working on animations and compositing (or that you open it before you select in Premiere your next shot). This way you will have all shots in the same project as separate comps and you can use elements from one comp in the others (like UI elements, animations that may apply to more than one shot...etc).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Shane Newville
on Nov 30, 2011 at 10:28:52 pm

Thanks.

I have yet to make well use of dynamic links. That is something I've been putting of learning.

So far I have been editing in Premiere, and making smaller (10-20 second) clips of each section that needs animation. Then copying the section to a dummy sequence (blank sequence). Once inside I would copy/paste the sequence into After Effects, animate to the audio, render, then import the rendered video back to Premiere's timeline. Cutting sections in Premiere seemed like a good way to know exactly which parts will need to be keyed as well, instead of keying ALL of the footage.

I will look into dynamics linking more.

ShaneNewville.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:03:37 pm

Furthermore, you should also use AE 10 or later. Previous versions just can't handle long-gop footage like H.264 properly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]