ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Toggle a layer's opacity (or other property) on/off to preview effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Rössler
Toggle a layer's opacity (or other property) on/off to preview effects?
on Nov 29, 2011 at 10:55:52 pm

Hello, I did a search for this question, but didn't see any promising results; my apologies if this is AE 101.

When working on a project, I sometimes find myself wishing I could briefly toggle a 0% opacity layer visible, to work on its parameters/effects at that specific frame.

What I end up doing is set the opacity to 100%, thereby creating keyframes which I later have to clean up again. Opening the layer itself in the viewer allows me to preview effects individually, but not the whole stack, and not in conjunction with the other layers.

Thanks,
Adrian

Return to posts index

Jim Bunger
Re: Toggle a layer's opacity (or other property) on/off to preview effects?
on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:00:17 pm

You can use the eyeball to the left of the name to turn that individual layer on and off, if thats what you are asking. also you can "Solo" a layer by clicking the box to the right of the eyeball. On another note when doing effects in your effects control panel you can click the F/X to the left of the name and turn individual effects on and off.

Hope this helps.

Director/Producer

Kearney Media
Kearney, NE
http://www.kearneymedia.net

"Film in Nebraska, where the men are men and the sheep are pants" - NE Film Commision

Return to posts index

Adrian Rössler
on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:15:02 pm

I'm looking to do that, but with a layer whose opacity is 0% at that frame. I want to see it despite that and without messing with keyframes of that property. Unfortunately neither the 'Eye' nor 'Solo' can achieve that to my knowledge.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:30:46 pm

If I still had to tweak effects on a layer, I don't think I'd have animated opacity so early on.

But there is a workaround: create a solid, copy the layer's opacity keyframes to the solid, and delete all the layer's opacity keyframes. Then turn the solid's eyeball off so it doesn't bug you, make the layer's opacity 100 % and tweak away.

When you're done, just copy the opacity keyframes you stored in the solid back into the layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Nov 30, 2011 at 6:41:25 am

Not that you really want to do this, but you could do a relatively simple expression on the opacity. Just add a Checkbox Control effect to the layer, then give your opacity this expression:

if (effect("Checkbox Control")("Checkbox")==1) {
100;
}
else {
value;
}

Now when the box is ticked, the opacity will be 100%; when it is unticked, it will return whatever value the keyframes dictate.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Adrian Rössler
on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:31:47 pm

Alright, thanks for the tips. Too bad this isn't realized natively in the GUI. The workarounds offer little advantage over creating/deleting keyframes; both things take up time and have to be cleaned up afterwards. I'll keep doing it as usual, things could be far worse!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]