<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hussar
Need verification with Setting up an After effects composition for hdcam SR
on Nov 29, 2011 at 7:20:22 pm

Hi and thanks for the help!

I'm using AFX CS4 on Windows 7.

I've already created a comp at 1920 x 1080 dimensions and
59.94 fps.
The client request was for square pixels. So that is covered too.

>Field dominance must be “even”, or “lower field first”.
In render queue > Settings > Time Sampling: I selected lower field first. Is there anything else I have to do?
Do I need to touch pulldown?

>Standard (resolution / scanning method / frame rate) - 1080i 59.94
Is there anything that I need to do to ensure that the final render
will be interlaced, i.e. 1080i instead of 1080p?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Need verification with Setting up an After effects composition for hdcam SR
on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:35:39 pm

for 1080i i would typically work in a 29.97 fps (frames per second) comp, then set the render settings as you described (lower field first).

since your comp is 59.94 fps, then make sure that the render settings also have a frame rate of 29.97, or you will likely end up with 59.94 fps interlaced (or 119.88 fields per second) which is not what you want.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael Hussar
on Dec 2, 2011 at 7:41:46 pm

Thanks Kevin! Question: When I spoke to the editor that will be receiving the my final animation, he said that he would take the final render file if it was rendered 1080p, i.e., I wouldn't set any fields in the Render setting, 59.94 fps etc.

I know for certain that his final edit is 1080i 59.94. Won't it cause him problems if he incorporates 1080p footage (my animation) into his 1080i edit? Or is it the case that he would import and convert my animation into his NLE program? If he can just do the conversion on his end, are there downsides to this wrt quality, render artifacts/glitches etc.?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 2, 2011 at 9:45:11 pm

it's pretty common to render 29.97p and edit/mix with 59.94i... we did it all the time in sd when cpu speeds we measured in mhz -- rendering interlaced in after effects takes 2x longer than progressive... it actually takes just as long to render 59.94p as 59.94i.

movement in interlaced renders will look smoother, but interlacing can show field artifacts, though with 1080, you need a pretty large, sharp screen before it get's too noticeable.

you seem to have things set up fine for rendering fields, so i'd be tempted to go that way rather than to render 29.97p... you probably don't want to go 1080 at 59.94p, since that would be double the data rate and also not conform to a standard format, and most nle's don't non-standard formats.

my comment on setting the frame rate to 29.97 fps when rendering fields, is because that's how you would produce 59.94i in ae.... 59.94i is 59.94 fields per second, after effects measures in frames per second, so you what to render interlaced, but the frame rate should 29.97.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]