ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5 is 64-bit ... plug in ramifications ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger BurtonCS5 is 64-bit ... plug in ramifications ?
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:04:21 pm

Hi chaps, I may have to buy CS5 ... a client wants me to upgrade - I understand (well actually I don't understand at all technically) that CS5 AE is 64 -bit and that some of my plug ins wont work, I have kept old versions of AE to run a couple of plugins that I can create the effect and render out a movie to use in my current CS4 AE ... I don't think I'm explaining myself very well but I am concerned that I have to shell out £400 for an upgrade and then £? for new plugins !
(... also I've heard that Adobe will only allow updates from one previous version in the future - After next years '6') Roger

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS5 is 64-bit ... plug in ramifications ?
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:10:37 pm

Yes to both.

You need to update all your plugins. None of the 32-bit versions work natively in AE CS5. That said, 64-bit AE can access more than 3 GB of RAM (per process), and that gives serious performance gains on well-equipped, modern systems. I think it makes the upgrade very worthwhile.

Adobe will only offer upgrade pricing on CS6 perpetual licenses from CS5 or CS5.5. There is a 20% discount on CS5.5 upgrades until December 31, 2011. Here's the official announcement [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: CS5 is 64-bit ... plug in ramifications ?
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:16:26 pm

Thanks Walter, yes the discount offer was an added temptation as well as the client's request.

So no problems keeping an old version of AE on the system for using old plugins ?

Roger

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS5 is 64-bit ... plug in ramifications ?
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:18:34 pm

[Roger Burton] "So no problems keeping an old version of AE on the system for using old plugins ?"

None whatsoever.

The only caveat as that I believe you must install them in order. CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5, etc.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: CS5 is 64-bit ... plug in ramifications ?
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:22:52 pm

you will need new 64-bit versions of any 3rd party plugins for cs5 and up (so any that you currently have for cs4 will not work in cs5).

it is a good idea to check with those providers to see what the update/upgrade costs are prior to upgrading. most of those are paid upgrades, so you should be prepared to purchase any that you feel you need when you upgrade to cs5+.

you may also want to get more ram -- ae went 64-bit to allow it to address more ram, and it can use a lot of ram, so depending how many cores and how much ram you currently have, you may be doubling your current ram.

you may be able to explain what's involved and the extra costs to the client and see if that's still something they feel they need... not that they'll flip for the cost, but if it would influence them to return as customers, then it may help justify the costs.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: CS5 is 64-bit ... plug in ramifications ?
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:24:04 pm

i'm way to slow at typing... job keeps getting in the way ;)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: CS5 is 64-bit ... plug in ramifications ?
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 5:17:22 pm

Thanks for the tips chaps, yes I see some expense coming up, my small amount of After Effects work these days doesn't justify a big hardware spend but I'm thinking of upgrading my elderly iMac with one of the newer iMac i7s I think it can take 16gb ram so hopefully that will keep AE5 fairly happy.

Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]