ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Does different light temperature effect chroma keying?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis WineDoes different light temperature effect chroma keying?
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 3:19:10 pm

I want to use three point lighting for the subject at 3200k, but I will be using 5500k for the green screen, so theoretically it still should key out fine as long as the green is a constant temperature without spill from the 3-point lighting - right?

I just don't have the 3200k light set up for green screen yet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Does different light temperature effect chroma keying?
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 6:06:47 pm

For questions like these, a test run is ideal. Unless I'm thinking this through incorrectly, if you're balancing for tungsten, this will push your daylight-color on the greenscreen into blue. I'd think you're okay, as blue doesn't conflict much with skin tones, either (assuming wardrobe isn't going to conflict). I'd be a lot more concerned if I were doing it the other way around (subject with daylight, background with tungsten).

Why not grab some blue gel and up the color temperature on your subject? That's a pretty inexpensive solution, and takes out this uncertainty....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Does different light temperature effect chroma keying?
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 7:27:12 pm

I agree with Ben - a test is always good and most times a budget or sanity saver. In principle you should be ok, but the filter solution may prove better, only I would try warm filters on the 5500k lights.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Travis WineRe: Does different light temperature effect chroma keying?
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 7:42:33 pm

Thanks for the responses folks.

I just saw where Sears has flood lights on sale cheap. They run 3200k. I just need to set these far enough away so they don't overpower the green screen.

However, I will experiment day of shoot after filming and post back results for those interested. I am.

I will be shooting with my Sony NXCAM - it has a built in 10 bit 4.2.2 uncompressed HD- SDI connector. I will be using this output to capture to my BlackMagic HyperDeck Shuttle. Yeah - Had to mention that. I'm excited to see results for 1st time.

Thanks Again!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Does different light temperature effect chroma keying?
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:07:31 am

I would be interested to hear about the results- let us know how it went.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]