ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting Holometrix

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Gordon
Exporting Holometrix
on Nov 29, 2011 at 6:19:11 am

Hi - I'm new to AE and the holomatrix plugin. When I view a holomatrix layer over a video layer in AE, it's a semi transparent "hologram". When I export just the hologram layer to another program (FCP) using animation - 1 million +, the "hologram" is no longer semi transparent. I can reduce the opacity in FCP but then I loose a lot of the bright glow I'm seeing in AE. Is this just the way it is or am I making a new guy error when exporting? Thanks for this forum.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Exporting Holometrix
on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:52:51 pm

I don't have Holometrix, but in your render Output Module have you changed your Channels to "RGB + Alpha" and your format to something supports an alpha, like Quicktime Animation or PNG?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

James Gordon
on Nov 29, 2011 at 3:31:14 pm

Thanks for responding. Yes, I've exported with an alpha channel. The area around the hologram is transparent. My issue is that I'm losing the semi transparency in the "hologram".

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 29, 2011 at 3:37:51 pm

[James Gordon] "Yes, I've exported with an alpha channel. The area around the hologram is transparent. My issue is that I'm losing the semi transparency in the "hologram"."

Perhaps you have a mismatch in alpha intepretation? Have you exported premultiplied alpha when FCP is expecting straight?

See Alpha channel interpretation: premultiplied or straight (AE) [link] and Working with Clips That Have Alpha Channels (FCP) [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

James Gordon
on Nov 30, 2011 at 1:03:01 am

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I actually exported both a straight and a matted (premultipled) version just to see if that was it. In both versions, the area around the "hologram" is transparent but the hologram has lost it's semi transparency and is 100% opaque.

One thing I'm just now realizing In AE, when I turn off the visibility of the layer below the "hologram", that's when the hologram loses its semi transparency. Before it's even rendered.
With mo layer below it, it's 100% opaque. So it doesn't seem to be a rendering issue. Again, I'm really new to AE and Holomatrix, but might holometrix be creating, or precomping, it's semi transparency for the "hologram" based on the layer below?

Thanks again for your time and thoughts.

Has anyone viewing this post successfully rendered a holometrix layer by itself, with it's partial opacity intact?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]