ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Newbie Stuck on Odometer Tutorial

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rebecca RootesNewbie Stuck on Odometer Tutorial
by on Nov 27, 2011 at 6:34:11 pm

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me please?
I am completely new to After Effects and am struggling to complete the odometer tutorial by Aharon Rabinowitz. I can complete the first part with no problems. However, when I jump to part three something has obviously gone wrong.
Back to part one, I set keyframes for "Shift Center To" at the first frame as +750 and the last frame as -750 for the numbers in the ones column and as a result it loops seamlessly. The tutorial then moves on to part two and the creation of expressions. Being a newbie I decided to give this a miss. I moved on to part three and installed the expressions from part two in the Presets folder. I've added the null object and renamed it Controls, then dragged the relevent presets to their appropriate columns. This is where the tutorial jumps ahead to a point where everything is set up and the numbers from all columns should animate when scrubbing the slider in the timeline. I have obviously missed something as only the far right column animates. Should I have gone and set keyframes for "Shift Center To" for the other columns? I thought I wasn't supposed to as the expressions were created to automate the process of animation. Where am I going wrong? Maybe I've missed something glaringly obvious but being new to AE I have no idea what that could be.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Newbie Stuck on Odometer Tutorial
by on Nov 28, 2011 at 1:01:26 pm

Did you add the slider control (which Aharon renames to "Number")?

This is meant to control all the offset expressions.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Rebecca RootesRe: Newbie Stuck on Odometer Tutorial
by on Nov 28, 2011 at 8:11:40 pm

Hi Walter, thanks for the response. I did add the slider control but I've just realised I hadn't set keyframes for the Number slider - so simple in the end!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved