ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text Track MATTE Static

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gautham NekkantiText Track MATTE Static
by on Nov 25, 2011 at 5:23:29 pm

I have searched but none matched what i wanted. Ok so i have a text and a background. I placed the bg over the text. I used channel- Set matte and used the text as source. The problem is i want to keyframe and move the background. What i mean is the background remains at the same position but the position of pattern changes. Because bg is bigger than the text, i want to move the pattern so it covers other parts of bg too

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Text Track MATTE Static
by on Nov 25, 2011 at 6:24:45 pm

Then I would suggest using the text as an actual track matte instead of using the Set Matte effect. [Link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Text Track MATTE Static
by on Nov 26, 2011 at 1:22:10 am

As Michael has suggested, the Track Matte feature will work better for your needs as the Matte Layer (your text layer) will not move when you animate the Fill Layer (your background layer).

To understand the difference between the results when using a Track Matte (Blending Mode) versus using an effect such as Set Matte youwill need to understand AE's rendering order.

AE's default rendering order (which can be changed) starts off by rendering Masks, Effects, Transforms and then Blending Modes. Therefore, when you used the Set Matte effect and then animated your background layer, the Set Matte effect was also affected by this move.

With the Track Matte route, Transforms are rendered prior to Blending Modes. Hence any transformation KFs that you apply to the background layer will not affect the transforms of the Matte Layer.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved