ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

file size

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
roby kissfile size
by on Nov 25, 2011 at 12:41:54 pm

Does the file size of a video affect the render preview or the final render or what does it affect? Because I am recording with fraps and I am thinking if it would be better to convert or to compress the video and then to import it to Ae.

If yes should I use sonyvegas/final cut or to try some converting software?

I search on forum but couldn`t found anything on this subject.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: file size
by on Nov 25, 2011 at 6:17:35 pm

The file size of your original video has absolutely nothing to do with the resulting file from After Effects.

To maintain quality, you should import as high quality a file into AE as you can (preferably lossless and uncompressed).
Then you should render a lossless file out of AE and use your NLE, the Adobe Media Encoder, Quicktime Pro, or something similar to do your final compression. Dave LaRonde explains why:
Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

roby kissRe: file size
by on Nov 25, 2011 at 8:18:37 pm

thanks for replaying
I use sony vegas for final product.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: file size
by on Nov 25, 2011 at 8:30:10 pm

Michael is correct, but I don't think that he was strong enough in his advice. Here, I'll remedy that:

Don't compress video before bringing it into After Effects!

Seriously, if you compress video before bringing it into After Effects, you're doing two things:

1) If you're using a lossy codec, you're throwing away tremendous amounts of information that After Effects needs for things like color keying and motion tracking.
2) Even if you're using a lossless codec, the compression scheme is adding more computation for AFter Effects to do as it decompresses the video.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: file size
by on Nov 26, 2011 at 2:58:05 am

Sorry, Todd. I'll use more exclamation marks next time. :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]