ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

can't evaluate expr on a parentless stream!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Moses Holmströmcan't evaluate expr on a parentless stream!
by on Nov 24, 2011 at 4:04:13 pm

So I was making some particle effects with particular's particle emitter linked to another layer with an expression. Works just fine. I duplicate this layer 10 times, animate stuff by hand and so on, until I'm happy with the result and try to make a pre-composition of the particle layer and the layer it's linked to... BAM. Error. Crash.
I open AE again, try to open the project, but I'm greeted with three friendly error messages:
After Effects error: internal verification failure, sorry! (can't evaluate expr on a parentless stream!.)
After Effects error: root should be layer
After Effects warning: your project file is apparently damaged (skipped sections: 1)

And after this it opens, but almost all my layers from the main comp are GONE.
Luckily - I thought - I've been saving incrementally every hour or so.. Just revert to the previous file and BAM! Same errors again, nothing in my main composition. Earlier save? nnnope..
So now I've been going through several project files and autosaves, but the earliest one which opens without errors is from 4 hours earlier! NICE!

What I'm asking is; is there a way to modify project files so that expressions would be disabled, deleted or whatever, so that I could at least recover the animations and timings in my project? I tried to deleting the expressions from a copy of the project file with a hex-editor, but the project -not surprisingly- wouldn't open after that.

Worst part is, the project should be ready by tomorrow morning and I've got other arrangements for the evening... The VFX-gods surely aren't smiling on me now :(

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: can't evaluate expr on a parentless stream!
by on Nov 25, 2011 at 1:14:30 am

It can also enable or disable the selected expressions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved