ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Premiere to FCP7: Which export format?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Marshall
Premiere to FCP7: Which export format?
on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:01:24 pm

Hi guys,

I have an editor who edits projects on Premiere 5.5, and I edit in FCP7. I know nothing about premiere. He shoots video on the 7D, so the RAW video files are H.264. He says he can just drop them in premiere and they just work, whereas I find FCP hates H.264 and I have to encode over to a codec like Apple ProRes 422.

So our situation is such that we need to find a format that Premiere can export in from his H.264 sequence, that can be recognized and not need rendering when I bring his export into FCP for me. I need to be able to trim the video, or add video to this video file. As of now, when he exports out, I'm getting a .m4v file with the following settings:

AVC Coding, 1920x1080
AAC 24,000 Hz, Stereo
FPS: 30
Data Size 139mb
Data Rate: 15.5Mbps

I tried to take this file and bring it into FCP7, but it simply crashes before it even gets into the timeline, saying "General Error" and nothing else. I can not encode this file over to anything in MPEG Streamclip, compressor, or handbrake.

Ideas are appreciated and Happy Thanksgiving!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Premiere to FCP7: Which export format?
on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:53:57 pm

You know, you could try learning Premiere. It's similar enough that it shouldn't be too hard for you to learn. Read this: [link] It's written by a Final Cut professional who's making the switch and what he found.

Just curious: why did you post this in the After Effects forum? It's really a Final Cut question (or a Premiere question).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Marshall
on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:57:54 pm

Crap, I did not realize this was posted in the AE forum!

For me, it's not about just learning Premiere, it's also about the money involved with getting the program.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 23, 2011 at 2:23:33 am

It might save you money in the long run, if Apple keeps following their current path of making Final Cut useless...

Also, it will save you a lot of time not having two different editing programs. AND, if you work with After Effects, the interaction between Premiere and AE is extremely useful and time-saving. As you're aware, time is money in our business.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]