ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Progressive scan effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antony BuonomoProgressive scan effect
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 12:55:42 pm

Hi

I'm looking to create an effect where an image scans in line by line, but also block by block within that line. I've experimented with a combination of Card Wipe and Venetian Blinds but it's almost impossible to sync them up so that I get what I want… also, it's not what I want. :-)

Think of the way a TV scans a picture; it starts at the top left, goes to the end of the line then does the same on the next line. Ideally I would like to be able to ‘resolve’ each block as it appears, the way the Mosaic effect does. The Squares effect in the Omino suite gets close, but works on the whole image at the same time.

What I'm trying to avoid is splitting the image up with masks and doing it all manually by animating masks and using Mosaic as I have about two dozen images to do.

Any help greatly appreciated.

A

Vertigo Productions

http://www.vertigo.co.uk

Return to posts index

Antony BuonomoRe: Progressive scan effect
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 1:36:33 pm

Okay I've just tried an experiment using Particular to fire small particle blocks and then using that as an alpha track matte for the image layer. I'm at 25 FPS so I'm using 25 particles per second (therefore one particle per frame) and then animating the emitter from left to right, starting at the top corner and then moving down 70 pixels (that's the height of my particle block) on each line.

But that's the tedious bit. I'm having to add 70 to every keyframe position. So I figure, there must be an easy way to use an expression. Well, it would be easy if I wasn't crap at expressions.

It seems to me an expression for the emitter might go something like this;
make a variable for X, but X is always the full width of the image so this never changes, except it would be really handy if somehow AE could know the width of the image/composition.

Then, a variable for Y which gets 70 added to it after each ‘scan’ (no idea how to do this)

Also, a parameter where I could change the speed of the scan. I guess having a couple of looping keyframes would work too. I know that increasing the speed would need the particle to be bigger, but that's cool and easy to change.

Finally, as I'm thinking aloud, it would be great if I could change a couple of the images so that the scan started at bottom left or top right etc.

A

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Progressive scan effect
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 2:11:34 pm

[Antony Buonomo] " I've just tried an experiment using Particular to fire small particle blocks and then using that as an alpha track matte for the image layer. I'm at 25 FPS so I'm using 25 particles per second (therefore one particle per frame) and then animating the emitter from left to right, starting at the top corner and then moving down 70 pixels (that's the height of my particle block) on each line.

But that's the tedious bit. I'm having to add 70 to every keyframe position. So I figure, there must be an easy way to use an expression. Well, it would be easy if I wasn't crap at expressions."

try using a a grid emitter and setting the grid emitter options to 'traverse" (these options are in the 'options' at the top of the plugin settings in v1.5). this will cause the first particle to emit from the upper left, and the pattern continues from left to right, top to bottom based on a grid that you define.

to get vaious directions, since it is a matte layer that you are creating, you maybe able to manipulate scale and rotation to flip it around and get the directions you need.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Antony BuonomoRe: Progressive scan effect
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:55:30 pm

Thanks very much Kevin, I'm trying it out.

A

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]