ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

tips for getting into video production industry

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Nguyentips for getting into video production industry
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:47:37 pm

as a senior in high school, now I have to decide what to do for the rest of my life.I finally made up my mind that I rather die than do something else other than video production.For those that already is in the industry, do you have any tips for me?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: tips for getting into video production industry
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 10:22:42 pm

[Victor Nguyen] "as a senior in high school, now I have to decide what to do for the rest of my life.I finally made up my mind that I rather die than do something else other than video production.For those that already is in the industry, do you have any tips for me?"

Very broad question! What specifically do you enjoy doing that's gotten you hooked? What have you done in production that you'd rather not do every day?

My broadest piece of advice would be this: there's a lot more to production than Hollywood. There's a huge market for corporate content, but if you don't love marketing, branding, or communications as much as you love storytelling and effects, it may not be a satisfying fit for you.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Victor NguyenRe: tips for getting into video production industry
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:10:21 am

thanks Walter that's the information I'm looking for. I don't care what it is, as long as I get to edit videos. The problem is that it's very hard to find jobs in this field. Where do you think I have the best chance in getting a job?

Return to posts index

Jeff BrownRe: tips for getting into video production industry
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 3:59:25 pm

Hi Victor,

Although it may seem like it (and you may be getting pressure from family & other adults), senior year in high school is not the time to decide what to do with the rest your life. I'd say you have at least another 10 years to do that... but then I took about 20 years.
I'd suggest trying to apprentice somewhere, even if that means making coffee and hauling cables and sweeping floors. Plan to watch other people doing the "fun" work for a couple years. Better yet, do that part-time while you do some college-level classes in literature, film theory, history, design, art, music, etc. The good editors I know have a pretty broad aesthetic knowledge outside of just cutting video/film.

just my thoughts, though.
Jeff

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: tips for getting into video production industry
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:04:51 pm

I absolutely agree with Jeff. Even if you ultimately end up where you want to be today, a broad perspective and skill set will make you more valuable.

Don't just learn editorial. Learn to write well. Study art and philosophy. Study design and theater. Study business and marketing. Study science and mathematics.

Work in group settings as often as you can. Learn to collaborate and how to be a good team player. Join organizations that stretch you out of your comfort zone. Learn to be outgoing, interested, and interesting.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: tips for getting into video production industry
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 4:06:25 am

Everyone has good advice. I'll add that when engaged in a creative endeavor, you need to explore to exhaustion, the 'why'. You need to be able to justify every decision you make.

The 'why' is the deep understanding of narrative, design, communication. The gear, hardware, software, techniques, effects are just the means to an end. The end is the expression. Many people in the industry don't get it. Look at a Micheal Bay film.

The other thing is that you need to meet the right people. This is true of anything. People use the same people more often than not. Get yourself out there, be open to everything, be enthusiastic (don't whine and bit#h about things in professional environments), go the extra mile and find a way to make this all sincere. Take yoga.

My two cents.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Victor NguyenRe: tips for getting into video production industry
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 7:57:45 am

lol what's wrong with Michael Bay film? transformer is one of the biggest box office hit

Return to posts index

Jeff BrownRe: tips for getting into video production industry
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:23:04 pm

[Victor Nguyen] "lol what's wrong with Michael Bay film? transformer is one of the biggest box office hit"

Don't confuse popularity with quality ;>)
[or maybe that was your point!]

-JB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]