ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Kinect MoCap to AE -- Need a way to smooth the tracking data

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victoria NeceKinect MoCap to AE -- Need a way to smooth the tracking data
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 5:07:52 pm

Hello all. I'm working on a project where I'm controlling digital puppets in After Effects with skeletal data from the Kinect, and I need some advice. So far, I've gotten the tracking points into AE and controlling a rigged puppet, but the capture software I'm using (Nick Fox-Gieg's KinectToPin for Processing via OSCeleton) has no way of smoothing the track. (Microsoft's Kinect SDK has smoothing tools, but is of course not for commercial use. Grr.)

Here's a rough sample of where I'm at:

And here's what one of the tracking points for that sequence looks like on the graph editor: http://imgur.com/Yqrps

The main motion path is clearly visible, but there's a LOT of noise and jitter, and cleaning it up manually (on both axes on 15 different points per track) would be hugely time-consuming. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a script that would help smooth things out? The only one I can find with a similar purpose is for removing unnecessary keyframes in patches of linear motion.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Kinect MoCap to AE -- Need a way to smooth the tracking data
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 6:56:32 pm

Conduct a search for the 'smooth' Expression method. It may be what you need.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Victoria NeceRe: Kinect MoCap to AE -- Need a way to smooth the tracking data
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 7:41:22 pm

That worked! Thanks so much -- you're a lifesaver. Now all I have to fix manually are the places where the track points make the head wander away from the body... :-)

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Kinect MoCap to AE -- Need a way to smooth the tracking data
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:35:13 pm

You're welcome Victoria. I'm curious to know the exact script that you used to get it to work.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Victoria NeceRe: Kinect MoCap to AE -- Need a way to smooth the tracking data
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 7:23:48 pm

I just added .smooth(.5,15) to the end of the puppet pin's position expression. Very straightforward and seems to have done the trick. (Granted, that pin's a source for a point control that has some trickier stuff happening so I can invert the puppet rig if the points come in backwards.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]