ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adding Gun Flashes from behind Glass?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark LiebrandAdding Gun Flashes from behind Glass?
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 8:14:21 am

I am currently working on a video with two friends and I am looking for the best way to add gunshot flashes behind glass in Adobe After Effects.

basically the scene is this:

A girl lets two dogs out of her house and a few seconds later you see two flashes coming from a stalker / killers silencer. I have two glass panels on the door and i want to make it look like the flashes come from out side. Any ideas on how I can achieve this affect?

Here is the video I am using that I want to add the flash to:

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Adding Gun Flashes from behind Glass?
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 5:34:23 pm

You'll probably need to track the shot, or since a flash is only a frame or two you could just adjust the position to match the camera shake manually, and then add your gunshot flash where you want it and mask it so it's only showing where the glass is in the shot. To make it more convincing you could add a daylight shot (a still would work fine) of the yard and just color correct and mask it so it looks like the yard is being lit up by the gunshot. You can also check for some great tutorials on muzzle flashes and explosions, etc. that will probably help.

Return to posts index

Sam SmithRe: Adding Gun Flashes from behind Glass?
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 2:24:25 am

I would also reveal a glass texture on the door when the flash happens..... find some dirty glass texture, there are several included with Optical Flares, set its transfer mode to either screen or add, and bring is opacity up when the gun flash happens.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Adding Gun Flashes from behind Glass?
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 7:28:34 pm

Harry Frank from RedGiantSW has a few muzzle flashes created with Particular -

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Mark LiebrandRe: Adding Gun Flashes from behind Glass?
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:56:07 am

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies... I am new to all this so please bare with me... I am not actually looking for a muzzle fire flash just a quick white flash. If you see in the video I included we have a glass door, basically the idea we are going for is this:

A girl lets two dogs out the door, then we want to pretend we have our killer to the left out of site on video but he is there. He has a gun with a silencer and she shoots each dog individually basically a split second apart or so. This in my mind would create a quick white flash.

Can anyone give me an idea how I would create this effect? I know a little about motion tracking so I can track the window and create a null object for the flashes. i am not sure how I would go about actually creating the flash? Would you suggest I add a white object and mask it to the shape of the window and then tweak the opacity?

Any thoughts on this would be great. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved