ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

gridiron nucleo pro 3 slows down AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maha mohtasebgridiron nucleo pro 3 slows down AE?
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 4:28:35 am

I just installed Gridiron Nucleo pro 3 and it's causing AE to freeze for 10-60 seconds after almost every command. AE is now much slower than before- including previewing/rendering! I don't understand..

Both fast/spec preview cause a 10 minute freeze (I can't even go into another application like safari during this freeze). Ram preview was faster before getting NP3. Also it only ram previews a few seconds, even after purging all. I used to be able to ram preview my entire 3 minute timeline.

I'm using AE CS5 and my MacBook has 4 gb ram. Multiproccessing is turned off. I've tried all the different settings in Nucleo Pro too, nothing changes.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks to all for reading!

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: gridiron nucleo pro 3 slows down AE?
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 6:07:16 am

[maha mohtaseb] "Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Running AE CS5 on a machine with only 4 GB of RAM.

Seriously, you're starved for memory and cannot take advantage of either Nucleo Pro (which spawns instances of AE, each requiring RAM) or MultiProcessing which behaves in a similar manner.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: gridiron nucleo pro 3 slows down AE?
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:46:52 am

Brian is correct.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: gridiron nucleo pro 3 slows down AE?
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 11:18:04 am

Hasn't the Gridiron Nucleo & Nucleo Products been discontinued?

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: gridiron nucleo pro 3 slows down AE?
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 12:13:06 pm

Sadly GridIron no longer support either Nucleo or Nucleo Pro so I wouldn't advise using it with the current version of AE. They stopped offering support for these products in April 2011. Here's a link to their website;

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor

Return to posts index

maha mohtasebRe: gridiron nucleo pro 3 slows down AE?
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 4:19:20 am

Thanks to all for the helpful replies!

The main reason I tried out NP3 was because I can't use multiprocess because of ram. But as far as AE/C4d, how much faster does the workflow become if I upgraded to 8 gb? Im on 4gb now, it's pretty slow and crashes often (the main reason I tried out NP3).. Will the crashes stop? And is there a limit as to how much ram a computer can take?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: gridiron nucleo pro 3 slows down AE?
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 3:18:09 pm

Adding RAM (and not using Nucleo) should help prevent crashes (depending on what's causing them).

Your computer's motherboard limits the amount of RAM you can install.

What OS are you using?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: gridiron nucleo pro 3 slows down AE?
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 10:14:55 am

AE CS5 is a monster in terms of RAM-usage (and quite the evil citizen in OSX when you run out of RAM). I'd say a minimum of 8GB RAM for using this application. Even at work with 16GB of RAM I run into issues quite often on HD projects.

Suggested settings for an 8GB system would be in the lines of:
- Leave 2GB of free memory for other applications
- You can use multiprocessor rendering even with 8GB of total memory, however I'd limit it to 2 actual CPUs

The multi-cpu option only really is a benefit - I THINK - if you have more than 2 cores.

On my 16GB system at work I leave 6GB for other apps and AE CS5 can still make the machine come to a crawl on heftier renders. This is not the fact the CPU is overloaded - I think the system is drained on RAM and doing a massive i/o to disk to compensate.

The beauty of 64-bit apps. I think FCPX can cause similar issues to a system given it hogs the GPU which causes other "issues".

Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved