ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What if there will be no new mac pro...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug LyonsWhat if there will be no new mac pro...
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 1:22:03 am

I've been waiting for a year and a half to buy a new mac pro. I'm an editor and motion graphics designer working with fairly processor intensive software - After effects especially. All my work is HD - usually uncompressed - and I've wanted to upgrade my home office to match the firepower of work for a few years now, but it looks like I might have to settle for an iMac or an older Mac Pro.
I dread having to go windows. Plus I would have to purchase several thousands of dollars of software.
I wonder what other editor/designers are considering. Just looking for something to think about while we wait for Apple to make up its mind.

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: What if there will be no new mac pro...
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 2:23:02 am

You'll be fine even if you're not using a Mac. Just get a 64-bit OS (Windows 7) or an iMac - and be sure to load them up with a ton of RAM, extra hard drives (USB 3, eSata, RAID) and you'll be good. I edit on Mac and PC and I do music videos, corporate product videos, etc. Andrew Kramer (VideoCopilot) is PC based. And, look at all of the high-end machines from BOXX Tech - all PC based.

LittleBlackBird.net

GraphicsDump.com

Return to posts index

Sam SmithRe: What if there will be no new mac pro...
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:10:26 am

The current iMacs loaded with ram are pretty zippy.

I would hate to have to go to PC too. :(

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: What if there will be no new mac pro...
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:38:56 am

There has been much speculation of late regarding Apple's plans for the MacPro.

Its may be fun to speculate but in fact its a fruitless (no pun intended) exercise since Apple never discloses its plans.

For my part, I doubt that the MacPro will disappear soon though I may be wrong.

The iMac is no substitute for the MacPro, look at the Cinebench scores, RAM limitations, difficult to access hard drives etc.

Thunderbolt is not ready as a prime-time replacement for PCIe. From what I've read the current implementation of TB is only 4 lanes wide, the video card in my current MacPro uses 16 lanes.

While the iMacs have 2 TB ports, there's only 1 TB controller on board, so each port uses 2 lanes. Useful for RAIDs and some acquisition devices (BlackMagic has a new TB one) but not great for any legacy cards I have.

If Apple does drop the MacPro without providing a workable alternative for performance and expandability, I'd run the one I have into the ground before building a hacintosh.

Adobe used to allow licensees to cross platforms for a nominal fee so were you 'forced' to move to Windows you might find it less expensive than you imagine.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: What if there will be no new mac pro...
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 6:53:36 am

I've been using AE on a Mac for a long time, but I've become increasingly concerned about continuing to build my business on Macs (see my article FCPX and the Domino Effect [link] for more on my thinking).

HP sent me a Z800 workstation, and I've been very impressed with it. I've been using it on real work for a couple weeks, side by side with my Macs, and the experience has been really good. The hardware is solid, Windows 7 has been reliable, and the performance is great.

I would view moving to an iMac from a workstation like my Mac Pros or the Z800 as a big step backwards. Using Windows is a bit of an adjustment if you're used to working on a Mac, but cross-platform apps like Creative Suite do feel the same on both platforms.

As Charles mentioned, you can move your Adobe license. From the Adobe Photoshop FAQ [link], regarding Creative Suite:
I have a Mac OS version, but I just bought a Windows system. Can I use my original serial number on Windows?
You can transfer licenses between OS versions. Contact an Adobe sales representative for more information.

If there is a new Mac Pro, it's very likely to add Thunderbolt. If you don't think you need you'll need Thunderbolt during the life of your next workstation, the current 2010 Mac Pro's higher end configurations are still pretty powerful and would be a major improvement over your current workstation system.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: What if there will be no new mac pro...
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 3:16:24 pm

Excellent post Walter. I would like to add that I've been working with Windows 7 for about a year now and it's been great. We have two HP workstations and a newer Lenovo workstation. They run very well with Cinema4D and the Adobe Production Suite.

At home I have an HP desktop running Windows 7 and it's actually doing a pretty fantastic job too with Cinema 4D and the Adobe Production Suite.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: What if there will be no new mac pro...
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 9:04:23 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "Excellent post Walter. I would like to add that I've been working with Windows 7 for about a year now and it's been great. We have two HP workstations and a newer Lenovo workstation. They run very well with Cinema4D and the Adobe Production Suite."

Yes -- I've been using Windows 7 since its release on a couple laptops we keep for some specialized Windows-only software. I'm of the opinion that full-time Mac users should spend a little time on W7 before dismissing it; it's a very different experience than previous versions of Windows. (I also recommend giving Windows a fair shake by uninstalling any of the shovelware that PC manufacturers love to pre-load for you.)

Doug, might you happen to be related to my friend Bill in the live events industry? The resemblance between your avatar and he is uncanny.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Doug LyonsRe: What if there will be no new mac pro...
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 12:59:02 am

Sorry Walter, no known relation.

-- A Proud member of the Reality Based Community since 1992.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]