ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Using Mocha shape data for replacement license plate

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan BeavisUsing Mocha shape data for replacement license plate
by on Nov 13, 2011 at 6:28:55 pm

Ok so I have a shot for a music video in which I start at the back of a bmw and move up the left side to my subject.... I would like to replace the license plate with a replica plate that states the song name..... I was able to mask the plate out pretty easy using mocha, but now I would like the custom plate layer to take the place of the mask..... I've tried different motion tracks with no luck, I have even used Video Copilot's corner pin to null plugin and still no success. Is there a way to make a layer (lic plate pre comp) follow the mocha shape data? I feel like there is a simple fix that I am just not seeing. Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Using Mocha shape data for replacement license plate
by on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:41:54 pm

The ideal workflow for using Mocha Shape is to first conduct a loose track around the object. Once a good track has been accomplished, a new layer is created in Mocha, using splines that adhere strictly to the object's boundary. Then you would link this layer to the one that was already tracked. Then you scrub through the timeline and make changes to the spline to ensure that the spline is doing its job. This usually entails creating KFs of the spline.

That's the long story. Now to make it shorter ... . You don't need Mocha Shape for this job. You need a Mocha's Corner Pin Data. Mocha Shape is ideal for rotoscoping and not really necessary for replacing objects unless you need Mocha Shape's animated edge width feature.

In AE, you should have created your song title graphic to fit into the licence plate area. The best way to create this replica is to have a frame of the original plate underneath, as a guide for where and at what size to create this replica.

Take note of the actual TC where you are creating this replacement graphic. Ideally, you should pick the frame where the original plate was the largest scale/size in the sequence.

Once your plate is done, drop the replacement layer and the original backing plate into a new comp. Ensure that the replacement layer is the same size as the backing plate. You may have to precomp it, depending on where, ie which comp you originally created it.

Now that you have the replica ready and the backing plate ready, head back to Mocha. Check that your track is accurate by using the grid and surface area. When all is well, select the layer in Mocha and duplicate it. Move Mocha's Timeline Indicator to the same frame where you created the replica in AE. Select the duplicated layer and click on the Align Surface button.

Then export a Corner Pin data and Paste it onto your replica layer in AE. ENSURE that you paste Mocha's data while AE's Timeline Indicator is sitting on the first frame.

TIP - the duplicate layer in Mocha is not a strict requirement to make things work. However, since there is no way to undo an Align Surface, in future sessions, it is best to have a copy of the original tracked layer. Of course, name the layers accordingly so that things are easier to suss out the next time you open up the Mocha project file.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved