ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects .Avi Stopped working

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert KingAfter Effects .Avi Stopped working
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:46:04 am

Hello,
Earlier today my adobe after effects was working fine as usual then I exited out of everything when I came back started a new project and when I upload an .avi which is all I normally use, it doesn't give me an error. It's loads up like normal only no video just the audio. What can I do to fix it?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects .Avi Stopped working
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 3:12:11 pm

Can you open and view this specific AVI in other applications outside of After Effects? Can you still open other AVIs within AE?

AVI is just a container. As Dave LaRonde says, a container is like a can of soda. You know how to manipulate a can -- you can hold it, you can crack the tab and open it, you can pour it out or drink from it -- but you won't necessarily like the flavor of the drink inside. If the can is AVI, the flavor is the codec [link] which encodes the video stream contained within the AVI.

It's possible that this AVI file contains a video stream with a codec that you don't have installed on your computer. What does the project panel show at the top when you select the imported file? There should be some descriptive text next the thumbnail (which itself may be blank).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Robert KingRe: After Effects .Avi Stopped working
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 8:25:44 pm

Ok, I think I figured out that it's just not loading the raw .avi my compressed ones load fine. But I'm almost 100% positive it was loading uncompressed ones before that. However on that note I've done so many projects and compressed so many files that I could be wrong i might have just not used a uncompressed file. It's still doing though just to the uncompressed ones.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects .Avi Stopped working
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 8:41:08 pm

[Robert King] "Ok, I think I figured out that it's just not loading the raw .avi my compressed ones load fine. But I'm almost 100% positive it was loading uncompressed ones before that. However on that note I've done so many projects and compressed so many files that I could be wrong i might have just not used a uncompressed file. It's still doing though just to the uncompressed ones."

Confusingly, "Uncompressed" video may still require a codec. Even though the video may not be compressed, but it may still be encoded.

If you don't have it already, you could try downloading BMD's uncompressed codec [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]