Matt Harris
18 Hr Render for 4 second animation?!
on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:11:44 pm

I have a Macbook pro with

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 (11B26)

I have created a 3D composition in AE CS5 that is rather intense (lots of motion blur, 3D etc)... but the render time for lossless codecs on the composition is 18hrs?? Does that sound right? Here are my settings:
Composition:
HD 1920x1080
4 seconds

Render:
Apple pro res 422 (HQ)
No audio

Return to posts index

Mike Verta
Re: 18 Hr Render for 4 second animation?!
on Nov 11, 2011 at 11:22:43 pm

I can't speak to your render time, but I would absolutely render to an image sequence as your master, and then make any self-contained movies from that, after the fact. If you crash or have an issue in the middle of that huge render, you lose everything. If you crash in the middle of an image-sequence-based render, you can just pick up where you left off. It also makes patching much easier/faster. I always recommend rendering finals to image sequences, first.

_Mike

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Nov 11, 2011 at 11:46:09 pm

Great idea Mike! I haven't done 3D since doing some work in Maya two years ago. But now that I think back on it, I always rendered PNG sequences for master shots. Probably a good rule of thumb for 2D too now that I think about it.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:44:53 am

That's 9 minutes per frame. Pretty steep, but not outside the realm of possibility if your scene is very complicated.

If you have multiprocessing off, you could try turning it on. 8 GB is not a lot of RAM, but if your comp's memory requirements aren't too high, this may speed up your renders.

If you have multiprocessing on, try turning it off. Your render may actually go faster with only a single render process running if your comp does have high memory requirements.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Nov 12, 2011 at 10:08:43 am

Thanks Walter! Turning multiprocessing on cut the time down to about 2 min per frame. So around 3 hours and some change render time.

I am still wondering if my workflow might just be unrealistic for my computer? I know 8 GB isn't a lot of RAM for rendering 3D, but it's the max you can have in this MacBook Pro. Am I just expecting too much from this little guy trying to render 1920x1080 raw HD with lights (shadows) and motion blur?

This particular scene features small wooden pieces flying in from all directions to create a 3D typographic word. I modeled the wooden pieces/typography in photoshop, and then brought the PSD into AE to animate and light the 3D layers of the wooden pieces. Maybe having 16 3D layers is also just too strenuous?

Either way thanks for the help everybody!

Matt

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 12, 2011 at 3:00:27 pm

Assuming you're talking about live Photoshop 3D layers (not "2.5D" AE layers), that render time might make sense. You're running 16 separate 3D renderers -- one per layer. Each one taking 7.5 seconds per frame sounds reasonable.

You might get faster performance by building a Shatter [link] simulation with a custom shatter map, but you give up a bit of control over the look and feel.

You might also render faster working in Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator Pro. If I recall correctly, it allows 8 sets of objects to be animated independently; to separately animate 16 layers, you'd need 2 instances of Invigorator. The reduced overhead might save you a lot of render time.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Nov 12, 2011 at 5:02:35 pm

Yea I think you're right Walter, 16 live photoshop 3D layers is a heavy load for this machine.

I've done custom shatter maps before and then time remapped so that the text was "coming together". but in this case the animation I have in mind is a bit less random.

Ultimately--yes. For future 3D work, I should get Invigorator for AE, or another legitimate 3D modeling program like Maya or Blender.

Right now I'm waiting out the long Render time... I'll post a vimeo version up when I get the chance, so you can see what I've been talking about! Thanks again for all the advice,

Matt

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 15, 2011 at 3:07:17 pm

If you do a lot of work in AE and you do a lot of motion graphics work, I would recommend Cinema4D as your 3d tool. I started using it last year and am loving it. It integrates very well with AE and has a lot of very useful motion graphics tools in the mograph package.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]