ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problems importing RED EPIC footage into AE CS 5.0

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Klemens HerthaProblems importing RED EPIC footage into AE CS 5.0
by on Nov 11, 2011 at 6:56:39 pm

Hi,

i've got some RED Epic footage. Everytime i try to import it in AE i get the message "footage may be in an unsupported format". We worked with RED footage before without any problems but never with RED Epic footage... I've installed the update 10.0.1 for AE CS 5.0 as well because of the RED improvements but it didn't help. The RED EPIC importer is unfortunately ONLY for CS 5.5 (which i really don't understand) but we don't know if it's worth it to upgrade as some people have also problems with epic files under 5.5 like i found here: http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?65374-After-Effects-5.5-Unsupported...
Unfotunately without any solution.

And the next strange thing is that the newest REDCINE-X-software crashes everytime i simply click on a RED-file in the built-in browser - if not, i would have tried to export the RED files from the REDCINE-X to see if it helps. But in the REDCINE-X-viewer (not the browser) every RED-file plays fine without any problems so the files themselves should be ok?!

After hours of trying and searching i really ran out of ideas! And we have a very tight time schedule and cannot even start working on this project... I'd really appreciate it if anyone has some good input on this problem!

Thanks in advance,
Klemens

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Problems importing RED EPIC footage into AE CS 5.0
by on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:21:50 pm

Why not use CS 5.5 as a trial. BUT check that the Red thingies are part of the trial version. You have one month to use it and then be in a better position to decide if you want the upgrade.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Problems importing RED EPIC footage into AE CS 5.0
by on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:09:55 pm

The CS 5.5 trial includes all the codecs of the full version (including RED).

It also includes Keylight, but not the rest of the third-party effects (Cycore, FreeForm, Color Finesse, and Mocha-AE).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Klemens HerthaRe: Problems importing RED EPIC footage into AE CS 5.0
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 1:13:41 pm

Thanks for your input! Actually I was hoping that there's a workaround to get it working in CS 5... As we have 3 AE-machines here, upgrading is not that easy cause if we do so, we have to upgrade ALL our machines! And that's expensive too! I really don't understand that Adobe releases this importer plug-in ONLY for 5.5 - not even a full version!

But anyway: Using CS 5.5 and the importer plug-in works! Does anybody know if it's possible to install CS 5.5 parallel to CS 5 on the same machine?

Regards,
Klemens

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Problems importing RED EPIC footage into AE CS 5.0
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:52:42 pm

[Klemens Hertha] "As we have 3 AE-machines here, upgrading is not that easy cause if we do so, we have to upgrade ALL our machines! And that's expensive too! I really don't understand that Adobe releases this importer plug-in ONLY for 5.5 - not even a full version!"

AE CS5.5 can save a project down to AE CS5, so you can keep a couple licenses back on CS5 and still interchange non-EPIC projects.

[Klemens Hertha] "Using CS 5.5 and the importer plug-in works! Does anybody know if it's possible to install CS 5.5 parallel to CS 5 on the same machine?"

Yes, it is. Just make sure you install CS5 first, then CS5.5 after that.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Klemens HerthaRe: Problems importing RED EPIC footage into AE CS 5.0
by on Nov 14, 2011 at 5:19:28 pm

That's great news - both! But especially the downgrade-save is a really nice feature! Many thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]