ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to improve an old film

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan CastleHow to improve an old film
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 10:50:01 pm

How can I remove film grain, and make the quality and details better on an older film?

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: How to improve an old film
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 11:55:11 pm

I suggest Magic Bullet's denoiser for grain/noise removal

It's probably one of the slowest rendering effects I own, but the quality is worth it.

Granted there are some techniques to reduce noise including After Effects built-in noise removal plugin (an adaptation of a well known software Adobe bought, Grain Surgery) but I prefer something a little more dedicated.

In terms of "better quality and detail"... this is super vague, but old video always benefits from a little color re-mastering. You can use a combo of After Effects built in curves and other color correctors, or pick up Colorista Free which is a free three-way color corrector

*I'm not affiliated with Magic Bullet, I just think a lot of their plug-ins are awesome.

Angelo Lorenzo - Helping you sell your film online

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: How to improve an old film
by on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:35:05 am

auto white balance, auto flicker remover, and shadow restorer just set the gamma clamp so that the top text layer(its off default) shows 25. then the flicker gets removed plus the shadows repaired. I've used it on some destroyed 8, 16mm stuff, and it works perfect.

ae cs3 aep

it uses AE's shadow highlight effect automatically. you can use it manually on your own, too. More things you can do are AE's remove grain then the unsharp effect. finally, some technicolor put back in because technicolor footage often gets washed out.

AE cs3 technicolor

or tiffen's dfx. also, red giant has good color correction, and color finesse comes with AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved