ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Strobing Light from Door

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Smith
Strobing Light from Door
on Nov 10, 2011 at 1:12:18 pm

Hi,

So I am supposed to shoot this POV shot of a guy opening a door behind which there's nothing but a black and white strobing light. The strobe will end up filling out the whole screen. Nothing should be visible behind the door.

Now I've already tried various things with lights and they worked fine (keying out brighter parts and underlay it with a strobing clip). Problem is we can't bring actual lights to the location. So I was thinking about using daylight instead. I want to make it look as real as possible so that when our protagonist opens the door the room he is standing in will sort of light up in the strobing light and the light should blow out the whole screen.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Strobing Light from Door
on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:43:37 pm

Is it a point of view shot or is the guy in the shot? How close to the door is the shot going to be? Like, can you see other stuff in the room? How bright is this strobe supposed to be?
From your description, it sounds like we're seeing the guy open the door from a pretty wide shot where you can see stuff in the room.
For this, you need to have lights on set. There is no good way to fake the light shining on the person or other objects in the room.

It's possible you could fake the shot with some fractal noise/turbulent noise coupled with Trapcode's Shine or CC Light Burst (or similar), but that's just for what's behind the door, getting the light to strobe in the room would be tricky.

Now, if you could shoot your shot with light pouring from the doorway and with no light coming from the doorway even if there's a long set up time between the two shots, you could cut them together to make it seem like it's strobing...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Nov 11, 2011 at 12:58:06 am

Thanks for the replies!

Sorry for being unclear about this. It is going to be a point of view shot (talent not in shot except for hands maybe) and there won't be much to see on the side. The stairwell we are shooting in is pretty narrow and we'll probably shoot on a 35 or 50mm lens. Just to give you an idea.

Now what if we shoot it during daytime (the door leads to a courtyard) so that light would poor in from the outside? Any tips on how to make it strobing in that case?

Thanks again

David

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:45:31 pm

I'd use a lighting effect like Video Copilot's Optical Flares or Red Giant Software's Knoll Light Factory.

A big benefit for using a practical light here will be that it will correctly illuminate other objects in the scene -- for example, as you are opening the door, a practical light would illuminate your talent's face. Relighting like this in post will be challenging.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:39:57 pm

As Walter and I have pointed out, digitally relighting a scene is difficult.
Not impossible though. Check out this tutorial: [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]