ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fly in and rotating a lot of layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Van den AbbeeleFly in and rotating a lot of layers
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 12:36:05 pm

Hi,

I worked most of the time with Motion but for this project I'm using AE. I know the basics, but like I said I'm used to the Motion workflow.

I want to animate a lot of objects (square's around a text), they have to fly in and afterwards they have to keep on moving slowly.
Then the text pops in.

I've got every square and the text in different layers, pre-comps... So normally I can do anything I want with it...

It's for this festival, look at the logo on the top left corner of the site: http://www.tfestival.be/

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Fly in and rotating a lot of layers
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:37:15 pm

If I follow what you're saying, you could parent all of your squares to a null object that's slowly moving, then animate them to fly in when needed. That would be the easiest way to get them to fly in, move slowly, then fly out.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Fly in and rotating a lot of layers
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:42:56 pm

Or make them all 3D layers, distribute them in Z-space, and add a simple floating animation to the camera.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Fly in and rotating a lot of layers
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:44:26 pm

Or use Sure Target from VCP!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Brent Van den AbbeeleRe: Fly in and rotating a lot of layers
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:03:13 pm

The sure target isn't really what I need. I got the circle to move slowly with a camera movement. Now all I need is the fly in? I don't seem to get it working...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Fly in and rotating a lot of layers
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:09:47 pm

[Brent Van den Abbeele] "I got the circle to move slowly with a camera movement. Now all I need is the fly in? I don't seem to get it working..."

What have you tried? I know you have a Motion background, so you may be inclined to use behaviors, but most animation in AE is done with keyframes.

I'd keyframe the position of each layer, starting it off-screen and flying it on-screen.

If you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

I especially recommend the Video Copilot "Basic Training" series that Todd links to.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brent Van den AbbeeleRe: Fly in and rotating a lot of layers
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:14:31 pm

Hi, I got it to work. I have to admit, little bit embarrassed, I tried to apply a text preset on an object. So now I've used the Fly to Insent preset and that seems to work. Not how I had in mind, but it works...
So thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]