ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Viewport camera?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawson ConnerViewport camera?
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 1:48:00 am

Hello.
My subject may be a bit misleading, but wasn't sure really what to call this.

I'm attempting to create an 'interface' look (to later track onto a computer screen in a shot) with a map of.. lets say for simplicity a map of the US. I want to have a small square, probably just a square shape layer with no fill zoom around the large map of the US. Up in the corner it would magnify the portion of the map that the square is currently over... as to zoom in on it, but while in motion. Is there a way to do this? My only thought would be to do this in two seperate comps, but then I'd have to animate a camera in a seperate comp, and make sure it was in exactly the same place as the square shape on the main map. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas on this? Could I possibly use an expression to link the camera in the "zoomed in comp" to the square on the main map comp? Thanks in advance!!

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Viewport camera?
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:07:06 am

I'd try doing the main camera animation, then nest that in a new comp, duplicate your comp, mask it with a small box, scale it up and move it to the corner, etc. Would that work?

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Viewport camera?
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:30:39 am

OFtentimes, it's best to provide a graphic representation of what it is that you're after. ANyway, if I understand your needs correctly, here's what you can do -

1) Create a Comp and call it LargeMap. In this comp, drop in your map footage AND animate it the way you want to, with Position KFs
2) Create another Comp and call it, MagnifyComp. Drop the same map footage in here. Apply Effect>Distort>Magnify. Change Magnify's Blending Mode to None. Change SHape to Square and adjust other parameters to suit your needs. Then create an Expression to link the Magnify Center property to the Position property of the map layer in comp, LargeMap.
TIP: if you have both Timeline Panels open, you can pickwhip from one property to the other to create the Expression, without typing in any codes.

3) Apply this same Expression to the Anchor Point of the layer. This helps to keep the layer in place, in the middle of the comp panel.

4) Nest both comps into a third composition. Move MagnifyComp to the corner of your choice and you're good to go. Should you want to change the areas that get zoomed into, then simply go to the layer in comp, LargeMap and make the changes there. Any change that you make will be updated, via the Expressions, automagically.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

by on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:41:15 am

BTW, you should get a more intuitive experience if you animated the Anchor Point instead of Position. This is to account for discrepancies between layer and comp spaces.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Viewport camera?
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 11:13:53 am

If you have a large image for the map, then you can setup the following:
Large map layer 3d with square layer above (3d).
Setup 2 cameras. One that is far in z space and zoomed in just so that you can see the whole map. The second camera, just above the square layer and zoomed in to see the square full screen. Link the second camera to the square layer.
Now you can "shoot" the animation of the square over the map with camera 1, while creating a duplicate comp where camera 2 is the active one. Slap the second comp, resize and crop on top of the first comp in the desired position.
If you want to animate interactively, all you need is to link the square layer in the duplicate comp with the one in the main comp.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Lawson ConnerRe: Viewport camera?
by on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:26:05 pm

Ah, thank you all very much for your ideas and input. I am still in the design phase right now, just doing a little pre-planning with the questions on the stuff i wasn't too sure about. I will let you all know how it goes! Great ideas, and I understand now. Thanks a lot! I'll let ya know :)

Return to posts index

by on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:46:34 pm

Take note that if you're going to do it the 2D as I have laid it out, everything can actually be done within a single comp. Just ensure that you rename the layers (within the timeline) so that the Expressions are linked to the correct layer.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]