ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Exporting a sequence for DCP using Rec 709

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amine AlameddineExporting a sequence for DCP using Rec 709
by on Nov 9, 2011 at 2:10:45 pm

Hey all,
We've just finished a short film entirely in CG. Compositing was done in AE with color management set to Off (none) in 32 bits.

We received the guidelines for exporting to DCP and got the following.

. TIFF sequence, 16 bit in XYZ or RGB (Rec 709 or DCI P3) colorspace.
. DPX sequence, 10 bit RGB (Rec 709)

We're opting for the Tiff sequence. No problem with 16 bit since we're working with 32 bits. Now question is, how do we got about using the Rec 709 color space. It's the first time we color manage our output.

We tried setting in the project settings the working space to HDTV(Rec709). Didn't seem to change anything in the display. Is that it?
Should we set the Profile of our imported sequences (the rendered CG stuff) to preserve RGB and assign the same profile?
Should we set in the project settings the option to linearize the working space?

When outputting the sequence, should we set the profile to HDTV Rec 709 as well? Should we preserve RGB?

Its all very confusing and i wish someone could shed some light on the subject.

Amine Alameddine
Caustik | Detail in motion

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Exporting a sequence for DCP using Rec 709
by on Nov 9, 2011 at 3:24:07 pm

Adobe has published an excellent whitepaper on color management in After Effects [link]. It's a geat place to start. The paper is written about CS4, but also applies to CS5 and CS5.5.

Essentially, color management allows you to define the color profiles of your imported footage, convert them all to a common working color profile for effects and compositing, and render them to a defined output color profile.

Backing up a step, different devices may use the same RGB values to display different colors. If you want to keep a color consistent across devices, you may need to change its RGB value depending on your color space. Color management does all this behind the scenes for you, so that you can ensure consistent color across devices.

Checking the "preserve RGB" box essentially disables color management, because it asks AE not to translate the RGB values for one color in one profile to the different RGB values for the same color in another profile.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Amine AlameddineRe: Exporting a sequence for DCP using Rec 709
by on Nov 9, 2011 at 4:27:26 pm

Thx Walter, i'll have a look and see what i find.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved