ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

DVD authoring

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howard VanDover
DVD authoring
on Nov 9, 2011 at 1:05:16 pm

Hi
I am attempting to learn how to use a static photo background and slowly rotate it vertically down the screen. I am assuming I would need to stitch 2 copies end to end. I would then like to fade in my buttons to this screen as it rotates. I am not too good with any of the adobe products as I am using a friends pc with cs3. I tried AE and fractal noise but discovered it is only for solids, not photos. I have looked at dozens of tuts for AE PS & En but none of them appear to address my issue. Would appreciate if someone could advise me of which product/s to use and any plugins, actions of whatever I would need with them. Thanks for any help offered.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: DVD authoring
on Nov 9, 2011 at 1:52:36 pm

It's quite unclear what you're trying to achieve, can you post a still, a sketch or a similar animation from another source?
I do not get what photo, why does it need to rotate and what buttons are you referring to?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Howard VanDover
on Nov 9, 2011 at 2:45:04 pm

Hi Ted
Apologize for not being more clear on this. I have a DVD menu I want to do. "rotate" was not a good choice & should have used "scroll". I think the menu would involve creating a background layer in PS & duplicating the layer and using 2 copies to seamlessly repeat the cycle as the menu BG. It is a photo of a desert road which fills most of the bottom foreground & the road shrinking into the distance until it disappears in a distant mountain range with a small area of sky at the top. I would like to have this road slowly scroll into the bottom of the menu, as if in a video camera moving slowly up the road. The buttons I am referring to are menu buttons to allow the user to select & play the selected video choice I would add. I am anticipating moving this PS file into AE or En or both to complete animation of the BG scroll & the buttons, but have been unable to find a tut that would get me past accomplishing the scroll. In the past I have only used simple apps like Womble EasyDVD, which are good for basic authoring, but I am wanting to do something more elegant for this project. While learning is not as easy as when I was much younger, I think I can do it with a push in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 9, 2011 at 4:15:11 pm

I get it now- here's a good tutorial to start with:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/dvd_authoring/
Also, a simple search on YouTube came up with this- there seem to be a bunch of tutorials that can be of use to you:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Howard VanDover
on Nov 9, 2011 at 6:22:54 pm

Hi Ted
Thanks for your speedy reply and suggestions. I'm sure the tut.link you included will help me a great deal when I'm ready to put it all together for burning, but I don't think it will help me in scrolling the photo I included as the BG in the menu. The youtube video is the same as it too does not address my issue. I have looked at many youtube videos on this and on BG scrolling and have not found any that look at my issue. Most of this may be due to wording used in searching as many individuals use diff. descriptors, but I am under the impression that I have to complete the scrolling BG and render it into a video before I can start authoring. However, camera movement/projection or doing landscape 2d to 3d looks interesting. I still would appreciate any additional suggestions.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 9, 2011 at 8:31:20 pm

Are you asking how to create an animation that would loop for your background?
Or are you asking how to animate in After Effects?
Or are you asking how to make your buttons move around the screen in Encore?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Howard VanDover
on Nov 9, 2011 at 9:20:37 pm

Hi michael
I'm looking for an answer to your 1st question, "how to create an animation that would loop my background". I do not want an animated object to scroll over the background. To clarify, I want the road photo I have used as a background in PS & moved into AE to animate, to slowly appear as if it is slowly scrolling or sinking into the bottom of the menu in a way that would be as if you were walking down the road, with the side scenery changing with the progression of your walk. I at first thought I would need a looping background with a second photo to begin at the top as the 1st one began to sink. This would not be very seamless but I thought it would be ok or at least good training. My recent searching leads me to think that maybe I should do it with camera mapping to obtain the effect I am looking for. If I am understanding mapping correctly, this process actually simulates a changing view of the landscape as if it were taken in a video camera as one actually walked the road. I hope I am explaining this clearly. I don't know the proper descriptors to use for this technology.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 10, 2011 at 8:06:36 am

Post a still of your road background- this will help us give you more feedback.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Howard VanDover
on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:05:57 pm

Hi
There is one already on my first post. If I need to post it elsewhere let me know.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:56:46 pm

You mean the small avatar image next to your name? I do not see another.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Howard VanDover
on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:05:00 pm

Yes. I responded to your 1st request for a photo and the link I clicked on said to upload a 172x172 photo. I guess I did not understand that it was for my avatar. I have a hi resolution photo 1900 x 1200 & will upload it as soon as I figure how to do it.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:33:03 pm

Right about the box where you type your responses is a button to begin the process of image uploacing. It's the third from the right, I believe. It says IMAGE UPLOAD and tells you what to expect when you hover your mouse over it.

That being said, from the look of the image in your avatar, I don't think you're going to be able to do what you're asking for. If you want to look like you're driving down a road, you're going to need footage of driving down a road. Artbeats has some nice road rush clips that should suit you, and I bet you could even loop them with a bit of a crossfade.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Howard VanDover
on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:23:40 pm

Here is the photo

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:36:05 am

Here's what I would do:
Cut the image in half, right about where the road starts to go up.
The top part I would keep as is, position it in 3d space far away and scale it up to fill the frame.
The bottom part I would build a comp for that contains a view from the top of the road and plane- of course you would have to rebuild that in PSD. In this comp I would build in 2d a loop, using the same image twice and moving it on the Y axis. Once that is done, I would make the comp 3d and position it to match the perspective. You will have to play with the camera zoom to help that. You may even have to use FreeForm to distort in 3d and fake a perspective. This is the base for your loop- basically the road and plane in the lower half will loop moving but the top half will stay the same. Maybe it will work to slightly enlarge the top part and fade back to the original size at the and of the loop to give the impression of movement in that half as well.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Howard VanDover
on Nov 11, 2011 at 3:41:33 pm

Hi Ted, and thanks for the reply. Sorry I could't explain myself better & get things going sooner. But it is great to have a definitive path, even if a foggy one to follow.

I do somewhat understand what your saying and have already started looking for material to help. I know this will probably take me weeks to accomplish so will not comm. again until I'm well into this. If and when I have more questions, would I start a new post or add to this one.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:34:00 pm

Always best to start a new post.
Good luck!

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Howard VanDover
on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:27:13 pm

Hi
There is one already on my first post. If I need to post it elsewhere let me know.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 11, 2011 at 6:49:55 am

It sounds like you've got TWO thingies you want to do -
1) create a looping background
2) use the looping background to create an animated DVD menu

For the first one, it depends on the subject matter. The image you've provided is iffy and unfortunately I don't have the time to try it out. But I can tell you that Camera Projection will create a nice effect - even if you have to dissolve it to create the loop effect.

You'll have to search for Camera Mapping/Projection AE tutorials.

As for your second issue, Encore is able to do this but it's been about 5 years since I've done it and I'm not able to recall the procedures off the top of my head.

What I can recall is that you specify to import an animated menu and then apply the loop feature. You will also have to specify a time when the menu buttons become active (clickable). I think that's all there is to it. You may want to visit the COW's Encore Forum or visit AdobeTV to see if they have a similarly defined tutorial for you.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Howard VanDover
on Nov 11, 2011 at 4:10:07 pm

Hi Roland

Thanks for the reply & your right on as to what I want to do. I picked up a couple of projection tuts using landscapes yesterday and have a feel as to what I need to do. Ted Jelescu also gave me some good tips last night also. I think I will eventually work this out for myself. I have been struggling with trying to get a firm direction as to what apps & effects I needed and I think I'm there now. Believe me, this is quite a statement for a 75 yr old.

The Encore issue should not be too much of a problem hopefully. Your tips will definitely help, plus I am familiar with building menus & buttons & should only need to pick up differences in terminology & locations of menu items. I have already gotten several encore tuts to help. As I told Ted, this will certainly take me some time & may be quite a while before I need additional help.

Thanks again for helping me

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 11, 2011 at 4:59:26 pm

You're welcome Howard. I hope things work out for you. Should you have more Qs, we'll still be here :-)

You may however want to use a new thread but post a link to this thread in your new thread/post.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]