ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Avid DnxHD Export Settings for After Effects CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joël Houtman
Avid DnxHD Export Settings for After Effects CS4
on Nov 8, 2011 at 9:17:08 pm

hello everyone,

I am having problems with the Avid DNxHD export codec for After Effects.

when I export just a footage from 43 seconds 1440x1080, 25fps and 64,4MB. After effects renders it with the Avid DNxHD codec to a 3,68GB file!

so I guess I am doing something wrong, because on their website it says it will give low file sizes.

please help me out with the settings! allthough, there are just a few settings to adjust...

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Avid DnxHD Export Settings for After Effects CS4
on Nov 8, 2011 at 9:41:49 pm

That's quite a bit smaller than an uncompressed file size would be. I believe that's a lossless codec too. So you're getting a lossless render at much smaller file sizes than uncompressed. You oughta try rendering out an uncompressed AVI or Quicktime with the Animation codec just so you can compare the file size difference.

The problem is that you're used to dealing with very highly compressed video like H.264. You don't want to render that out of AE. Follow their advice, then take your rendered video into Adobe Media Encoder to do your final compression. I don't know of any professional who renders their final compressed file out of AE. The reason is that AE can't do multipass encoding which makes things like h.264 video have better picture quality at smaller file sizes.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jasky Singh
on Nov 18, 2011 at 7:15:11 am

hey Michael,

so the AvidDnxHD codec is a losless one. which one is similar to something like the H.264? My video editing is mostly for HD YouTube work and I want to know what the best codec I should be using to deal with day to day work, eg transferring a render from Prem Pro to AE etc etc.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 21, 2011 at 6:36:47 pm

You don't want to use something like H.264 between Premiere and After Effects, you want something lossless. EXCEPT that you don't need to render anything out of Premiere. Just import your Premiere project into AE.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jasky Singh
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:49:34 am

I have tried doing the dynamic link option I assume you are suggesting. however every time I do it, the composition sizing changes and some effects get removed...? So I didn't think it was the best option....

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 22, 2011 at 2:14:22 pm

I don't particularly care for Dynamic Linking, I just use the import feature. Yes; some effects in Premiere won't come over to AE when you do it that way. You plan for that in your workflow and apply those kinds of effects in After Effects since you know you're going to be in AE anyway. If I know I'm going to be using AE, I do just my cutting in Premiere then everything else in AE.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]