ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Apply Mask to Multiple Text Layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaiah BugarinApply Mask to Multiple Text Layers?
by on Nov 8, 2011 at 3:24:07 am

I'm trying to make an effect where a rectangular mask goes across the screen and makes objects that are inside of the mask appear. There are a few text objects in a line (horizontally). I want to have an animated mask slide across these, making them visible as it does. The problem is that I don't know how to do this without actually putting a mask on each individual text object of the exact same animation timing (which would be difficult and annoying). Is there an easier way to have one mask apply to many different layers (I've tried making an adjustment layer with the mask on it, and then making the text objects a child of this).

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Apply Mask to Multiple Text Layers?
by on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:32:01 am

Take your text animation minus the animated mask, then nest that into a new composition. Apply the mask to the nested comp, or use a track matte.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Apply Mask to Multiple Text Layers?
by on Nov 8, 2011 at 9:48:22 am

I'm unclear as to whether you want the text to be visible with or without the mask as the mask slides across. If the text is only going to be visible when the mask slides across then create a Solid (with or without additional masking) and set its Blending Mode to Stencil Alpha.

If the text is going to be on screen at all times, then Ben's suggestin should be ideal.

BTW, Parenting works only with all Transforms except for Opacity. I suggest that you read the Help files as and when you're learning something new. It's much better knowing than stabbing in the dark.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved