ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Collapse Transformations and Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John MadisonCollapse Transformations and Effects
by on Nov 7, 2011 at 10:54:19 pm

Hi Guys,

Ok, i'm having some issues with this set-up. I have a comp with layers in 3D space. I want to add a specific effect on all of them which i put on an adjustment layer - the effect is different if added individually on the 3d layers. The problem is that when i use the comp in another comp and turn on collapse transformation, the effect on the adjustment layer affects the other layers on the new comp as well. Is there any way to stop this?

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Collapse Transformations and Effects
by on Nov 8, 2011 at 1:10:15 am

When you collapse transformations, the influence of adjustment layers are ALWAYS carried into the nested comp. (Unless the adjustment layer isn't visible, etc, in which case it doesn't have any effect in any of the comps.) This is very useful when you want to use chains of effects repeatedly (you can make multiple adjustment layers, put them in a nested comp, collapse transformations, dup to your heart's content). In my experience, there is s way to work around the issue you're experiencing most of the time, but the solution will change each time, depending on the situation. I can't give much advice without more details on what you're doing....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Collapse Transformations and Effects
by on Nov 9, 2011 at 3:57:40 am

Do you really need to switch on the nested comp's Collapse Transformation switch? If you really have to then look into rescaling the precomp such that you do not need to switch its Collapse Transform switch after nesting. Another option is to pre-render the comp.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved