ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

DNxHD 10 bit to ProRes in After Effects or Final Cut (OS X)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Patterns
DNxHD 10 bit to ProRes in After Effects or Final Cut (OS X)
on Nov 7, 2011 at 12:28:01 pm

Hey!

I am so sorry, I know this questions has been asked a billion times. And trust me I have searched this forum, but the deadline is killing me right now.

Today I got two DNxHD185 10 bit files that I need to convert to a ProRes/m2v. I got the information I need to import it in 601/709 colorspace. So, I go into AE and import it - but AfterEffects has no dropdown or similar to tell how to import a file with a certain colorspace. I know there is the possibility to change colorspace for the whole project and afterwards in the exportsettings. But when I do this, the file has the wrong gamma.

Can anyone give me a hint (maybe a failsafe step by step tutorial - I'd be so greatful you cannot imagine..)

Kind Regards,
Jan

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: DNxHD 10 bit to ProRes in After Effects or Final Cut (OS X)
on Nov 7, 2011 at 3:52:29 pm

If you have enabled Color management [link] for your AE project, you can use Interpret Footage [link] to assign a specific color profile for your imported footage.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jan Patterns
on Nov 8, 2011 at 12:56:28 pm

Thank you very much! I just have had problems with the 16-235 thingy... much to learn I suppose ;)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 8, 2011 at 1:52:47 pm

[Jan Patterns] "Thank you very much! I just have had problems with the 16-235 thingy... much to learn I suppose ;)"

I'm happy to help.

The 16-235 mapping is a way of squeezing the full range (0-255) into the legal range for a video signal (16-235). This should be used when there is another device or system later in the chain which expects video range and will expand it back to full range for display.

If your image looks too milky or dull, you're probably using video range when you should be using full range. If your image has crushed shadows and blown highlights, you're probably using full range when you should be using video range.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]