ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

The right way to render so things are not washed out

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David O'Sullivan
The right way to render so things are not washed out
on Nov 5, 2011 at 5:18:34 am

I'm sorry if this has been answered before but if it has it has not been in a way I can understand.

I have made a composition in After Effects and am rendering it out, as Quicktime-mp4, Quicktime Animation, Motion JPEG etc etc etc.

Every single output is washed out. If I import the outputted file into After Effects and apply 'levels' to it adjusting the gamma to about 0.7 makes the output look about the same as the composition.

Obviously I cannot expect users viewing my outputted video to change their gamma settings to see the video the way I intended, so why is this happening?!?

Why wont the timeline output the colours on the timeline???

Please help, this is driving me crazy!

D

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: The right way to render so things are not washed out
on Nov 5, 2011 at 5:46:54 am

The washing out is happening in QuickTime Player, which has an unpredictable way of doing a sort of color management for QuickTime files, in which it tries to do some gamma adjustments for some codecs.

It's a moving target (not just for After Effects, but even for Final Cut Pro), and the only 100% reliable solution is to not use QuickTime.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

David O'Sullivan
on Nov 6, 2011 at 11:48:08 am

Thanks for the tips there. What output module do people here generally use then for pre-rendering out layers that need to match exactly the colours of a composition?

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:17:24 pm

File sequences!!!

From an earlier post of mine:
---------------------
A few reasons why to render to file sequences:

Need to fix 10 frames? with file sequence, render 10 frames. With a "movie" format (like QuickTime), render entire project.

Computer crash, power outage, have to interrupt rendering? with file sequence, pick up where you left off. With movie, start from the beginning.

Need to tweak compression? with file sequence, you only have to wait for compression pass, not re-rendering. This is true even if you need to use AE to do the final compression.

From my recent tests, TIFF or DPX files are the fastest to use with Adobe products. TIFF is more universal, and supports alpha channel, so I would suggest starting with those. TGA files work well if you only need 8-bit color depth.

About the only down side is you will need to track audio separately in the final compression.
----------

BTW, feature-film workflow is, to the best of my knowledge, always file sequences once things get digitized.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]