ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Masking a moving orange gun tip to reveal image layer below??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allen HermanMasking a moving orange gun tip to reveal image layer below??
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 2:31:56 pm

So I have a guy standing around with a gun with an orange tip. I'm trying to mask out the orange tip. Since the change to color is horrible (orange tip is a little blurry), I decided to take the last frame where the guy has moved off scene and just use that frame of trees as a background image for the orange tip once the orange tip is masked out.
Now my background layer is motion tracked to follow the camera movement so that when the orange is masked out, the position of the image is where it should be in relation to the trees in the background of the movie. It's just a small mask so the image behind the movie matches good enough.
So I've drawn my mask on the movie layer to cut out the orange tip to reveal the image of the trees below the movie layer. My problem is that I can't motion track the mask without the entire layer moving. I have a motion track on the tip of the gun to a null layer. I just can't seem to figure out how to track just the mask to punch out the orange tip to reveal the background image of trees while following the orange tip without the entire layer moving.
I'm trying shape layers and adjustment layers with only the mask and I guess I don't have the correct settings, but it's killing me. The scene is just too long to move the mask frame by frame, plus I can't keep it even with the gun and it's horrible. I've only been using AE 5.5 for a few weeks and I've been watching the Lynda.com tutorials until I fall asleep, but I'm still not seeing a solution to what I'm trying to accomplish. I have also searched through the forums with no luck. Any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Masking a moving orange gun tip to reveal image layer below??
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 3:03:20 pm

Paste the mask on a Shape Layer, apply track data, use Shape Layer as Track Matte.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Allen HermanRe: Masking a moving orange gun tip to reveal image layer below??
by on Nov 6, 2011 at 3:51:37 pm

Thanks, that did the trick. I had actually done that before, but I was just getting a black screen or nothing at all and it turns out that just pasting a mask did not work. I had to just redraw a shape on the shape layer and track it to my null layer. Thanks a bunch for the help.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Masking a moving orange gun tip to reveal image layer below??
by on Nov 6, 2011 at 9:56:51 pm

Glad to hear it worked out!

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Johann GarcesRe: Masking a moving orange gun tip to reveal image layer below??
by on Nov 4, 2011 at 5:58:02 pm

Have you used Mocha Tracker ? It's easy and since CS5 it can output mattes to AE.
Chroma keying is also a possibility, you just need to roto a rough garbage mask.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]