ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE freelance job question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans van LuttikhuizenAE freelance job question
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 11:44:52 am

Recently I've been working on this project. I'm fairly happy about how it turned out considering I didn't have that much time to work on it. Now I'm wondering, since I'm very new to this field of work (both to AE and freelancing in general) what such a thing is worth. Just to explain:
  • This project will be used in nearly every single video they will upload from now on
  • The five stars will range from 0,5 - 5 points with or without the "kooptip" banner.
  • Every single option within a different composition to ensure ease of use when importing to Premiere Pro (just pick the comp with the score you need)
  • I will be writing a document with a step-by-step guide on how to use this file with Premiere Pro
  • I will be supporting and updating if and where necessary

Now my question is: Can you give me an estimate of what kind of money I could ask for this project, regardless of my time spent on it.

Also, if you have feedback on the project itself, an effect you like or don't, something that might make it a LOT better with just a little adjustment, let me know! I'm new to this and although I think I'm doing pretty okay, there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE freelance job question
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:52:37 pm

[Hans van Luttikhuizen] "Now my question is: Can you give me an estimate of what kind of money I could ask for this project, regardless of my time spent on it."

In general, freelancers charge for their time. Sometimes, I will bill for time; sometimes, I will bill a project fee based on a fixed scope of work.

How much time have you spent on this piece? Have you calculated your hourly (or daily) rate? Try the Freelance Switch Rate calculator [link] to help figure out what you need to charge in order to actually make enough money.

There's plenty of wisdom to be found here on the Business & Marketing forum [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Hans van LuttikhuizenRe: AE freelance job question
by on Nov 7, 2011 at 10:07:31 am

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I am very new to this all so I really wouldn't know what to charge on an hourly rate. I don't have a degree in anything related to this work since this started out as a hobby for me and via an internship I was hired as a freelance cameraman/editor if those are the correct terms.

Making such an animation in After Effects is not something I do for a living in itself and since I took my time I'd have to charge an estimated amount of hours. Maybe I'll see if I can get a hold of someone in the Netherlands that could tell me more about this.

On the animation itself, I've finished it now and as soon as the first video is online I'd like some feedback on what could've been better or different. Where might be a good place to ask for such feedback?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved