ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Object Removal in Very Complex Shot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Umar Ansari
Object Removal in Very Complex Shot
on Nov 3, 2011 at 1:20:13 am

Hey Guys,

I need some help removing the insignia symbol in this shot. The symbol is at the top right corner of the note, which the actor takes out of the envelope.

Here is the shot:

https://www.wetransfer.com/dl/SBz2UT32/d2d150f2ef543ba786574bf64bbd4858729f...

Please reply ASAP as this shot's due in about a week!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Object Removal in Very Complex Shot
on Nov 3, 2011 at 3:00:17 am

You'll likely get more replies if you posted the video within your COW post. Most folks, including myself, are not keen to download anything unnecessary.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Nov 3, 2011 at 4:20:16 am

This can be accomplished with Mocha AE (it ships with the more recent versions of AE, so you probably have it). There are a TON of tutorials online for Mocha -- check out their website for some of the best ones.

Basically, you will track that icon in the corner with Mocha, then export that tracking information as corner pin information for AE to use. You will create a "patch" that will cover up the icon (in Photoshop, for instance). This patch is animated to follow the icon. From there you need to do some rotoscoping so the edges of the paper look correct, as well as removing things like fingers getting in front of it, etc.

A second option, since the back of the paper is so plain, is to do a basic AE track of the icon, then match a solid and try to make it match as best you can. The Mocha option will do a much better job, however.

Also -- THIS IS KEY -- your footage was shot at 24 but is playing back at 30. This means it has pulldown applied. In this case it is standard 3:2 pulldown (not "advanced 3:2 pulldown"). You need to remove this in after effects before proceeding. If you are editing at 30, you can reintroduce the pulldown when you render, but those "sliced" frames will absolutely ruin your composite otherwise. So before you do anything else, make another version of your clip without the pulldown (so it's running at 24). Good luck!

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Umar Ansari
on Nov 3, 2011 at 2:58:52 pm

Yes, that is my usual technique when it comes to object removal for the most part. Would you suggest that I roto every frame? Because it tracks well but the composition just looks awkward with mask edges sticking out.

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Nov 3, 2011 at 4:05:22 pm

Yea, there are two parts to the process. One is the MOVEMENT (the corner pins), the other is the ROTO (masking). One of the awesome things about Mocha, as you know, is that it will use the data you gather for the movement and help make the roto-ing process easier! Gotta love Mocha!

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Umar Ansari
on Nov 8, 2011 at 4:22:37 am

Thanks, I got it to work without using Mocha. Simply by point-tracking in AE, then inputing and masking a clean plate. Works better than I expected and is usable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]