ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Workflow sanity check

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott MorrisonWorkflow sanity check
by on Nov 1, 2011 at 7:48:30 pm

Hi all,

I am intending to burn a DVD filled with rendered animations. Thus far, here is my workflow:

1. Render animation to Targa image sequence (32 bit) from Modo (or Maya, whatever) at NTSC, 1440 x 960 resolution, 1.2121 and 30 FPS.

2. Import sequence into AE, scale down to 720 x 480 and assemble Comp. making sure footage is interpreted at 30 fps and 1.2121.

3. Open Media Encoder and open AE Comp. Render uncompressed AVI at DVD NTSC setting.

4. Import AVI into Encore, burn DVD and drink heavily.

Does this sound reasonable? I am seeing VERY high quality renders from Media Encoder, but when I burn the DVD and watch it on my TV, things aren't so crystal sharp (I see banding, artifacts etc.).

My question - should I allow Encore to do the final compression to DVD or Media Encoder?

Thanks for the help.

Scott Morrison
Just an amateur trying to learn

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Workflow sanity check
by on Nov 1, 2011 at 8:56:13 pm

[Scott Morrison] "1. Render animation to Targa image sequence (32 bit) from Modo (or Maya, whatever) at NTSC, 1440 x 960 resolution, 1.2121 and 30 FPS"

Just to be clear, Targa only supports 8 bits per channel, or 32 bits per pixel. It does not support floating point (32 bits per pixel).

NTSC runs at 29.97 frames per second, not 30 fps even.

Why render at double resolution? Are you trying to improve antialiasing by downscaling?

[Scott Morrison] "3. Open Media Encoder and open AE Comp. Render uncompressed AVI at DVD NTSC setting. 4. Import AVI into Encore, burn DVD and drink heavily."

I would render an uncompressed AVI in AE (or AME), then bring that intermediate render into AME for MPEG-2 export. Use the highest-quality settings you can, given the limitations of DVD and the length of your animation.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Workflow sanity check
by on Nov 2, 2011 at 3:08:22 pm

[Scott Morrison] " Import AVI into Encore, burn DVD and drink heavily"

Check the encoding settings in Encore. 8 MBPS is ideal for quality as well as compatibility across DVD players.

As for banding issues, ensure that you render from AE while in 32-bit color depth. If banding still persists, then look at introducing Channel Blur and/or Noise.

As for your workflow, if you do not require an uncompressed version, then you can use AME to render directly to a DVD-MPEG2 file.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]