ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

bulge a wall

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Camacho Guerrero
bulge a wall
on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:58:39 pm

Hello guys,

I got a new challenge , and I was wondering how to approach to it.

I got a wall, which I want to bulge it, giving the effect that the wall is alive.

I have been following the tutorial from andrew kramer http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/skin_displacement/

I have applied to the wall, however it does not look great yet. I took the bulge and I animated in scale.

any idea or approach?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: bulge a wall
on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:15:37 pm

Post a before and after image here, in your next post. Include screen caps or info on the effect that you used. WIthout those, it's quite impossible to assist you.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:24:01 pm

Hi Roland , thanks for your reply..

see this is the wall without being affected..

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Htu8UCAo3Xk/TrAOTYtJPQI/AAAAAAAAAVo/BxIX...

and this is more or less what I want to achieve
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kmST_KxYF-c/TrAOTbEBQLI/AAAAAAAAAVk/8_-3...

Basically there is a part of the wall which inflates, giving the illusion of a 3d movement. Is this possible to do in after effect or should I try with 3D?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:40:34 pm

What you want is 3D displacement. Take a look at FreeForm which has been bundled with AE since, ... ... CS4? There is a newer rendition, FreeFormPro that renders much faster and has lots of new options in place.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:41:59 pm

oh really? that sounds good, I have seen some transformation with that plugin, but for isolated elements, not for parts of some elements.

Let me see I will come back to you.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:51:53 pm

The Grid and 3D Mesh Controls are what you'll want to tweak. Take note that the Grid itself, # of Columns and Rows cannot be animated and you will want to animate Mesh Distortion.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Nov 1, 2011 at 5:46:45 pm

roland, I have trying the freeform, which is basically a mesh like in Photoshop. I was wondering , do you think it could be a good idea having some pattern in the wall? Over a simple wall, the result it is not amazing. Maybe simulating drops shadows as well...

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 1, 2011 at 9:32:15 pm

Free Form is good and will get you somewhere, but as Roland suggested FreeForm Pro would be a better option. It's not only fast but has a much more accurate displacement mapping the will enable you to give a 3d texture to the wall. There is a nice interaction with AE 3d lights which can give you shadows and you can even use a Reflection Map.
You can cut the part of the wall you want affected, bring it in PSD, paint a rectangle (undistorted wall) and bring that back in AE. Use the controls in FreeForm Pro to position the rectangle (wall piece)in 3d to match the perspective in the shot and distort at will. If you seek this forum you will find some project files posted by Chris Bobotis (Mettle - creators of FreeForm Pro) that have some handy expressions for 3d displacement written by Dan Ebberts. Those can come in handy.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho Guerrero
on Nov 2, 2011 at 10:10:33 am

wow that sounds awesome. One thing, why the puppet tool shouldnt be enough for this?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 2, 2011 at 1:22:31 pm

The Puppet Tool is a 2d tool. You can animate/distort a 2d image and then precomp and make the layer 3d to position it in perspective, but you will never be able to give the depth and dimensionality of a true 3d distortion tool. You can simulate shadows, but nothing looks like a shadow cast by a 3d light. You can simulate a 3d texture, but nothing will match the real 3d displacement.
There are other ways of approaching the effect you are after, the issue here is what looks the best and what makes the client/audience believe.
At the end of the clip posted below (starting at 21 sec) I used Polar Coordinates to achieve the impression of the space around the subject pulsating with energy:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]