ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RE: After effects output to DVD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aik Ming TeoRE: After effects output to DVD
by on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:46:26 am

Hi

i'm quite a newbie to the whole AE scene, picked it up in August to do my wedding montage with style.

finally i've reached the final stage of it and i am trying to render it to mpeg2 (DVD). It works fine except that some of the effects are gone, particularly the shadows from light fall. Without the shadows, the whole 3D effect is gone

I'm running the comp at 1280x720 @29.97 fps. What will be the best way to render it to MPEG2 format and have all the features inside?

If a lossless format is required, i actually have a 34GB uncompressed AVI file (my comp is 5.30mins long). Can I compress that to a suitable MPEG2 format to be placed in a DVD and what compressor will be recommended?

Sorry for the long string of questions. need to know urgently because the wedding is in 4 days!!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: RE: After effects output to DVD
by on Nov 1, 2011 at 9:46:50 am

AE is not the best way to compress your footage. If you have a software package (like Adobe Encore) that you use to program your DVD, that will take care of encoding your footage. If you just need mpeg2 files to burn on a DVD, use Adobe Media Encoder to compress for best results. Be aware though that a regular DVD format will resize the project to a SD widescreen frame (720x480, Widescreen par, 29,97). You may be able to use a computer or a HDD player and get a higher resolution forplayback. This way you can keep your 720p resolution.

As far as your shadows not showing up in the render, try to post a screen grab of your AE project, so that we can see how you have it set up, maybe that will shed more light on this matter.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Aik Ming TeoRe: RE: After effects output to DVD
by on Nov 1, 2011 at 10:27:38 am

Thanks for the reply!!

Actually the shadows only don't show when i render it to mpeg2 format via AE. the ultra big 34GB lossless AVI however has the shadows inside perfectly.

is there anyway to work with the AVI to compress to be able to play in a DVD?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: RE: After effects output to DVD
by on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:13:08 pm

You losing the shadows is more likely due to compression artefacts.

You will want to use Curves to increase the contrast of the uncompressed movie.

You can do this in PPro as well as resizing the HD720 movie. In PPro, create an NTSC DV widescreen sequence and drop your movie in there. Apply Curves and make the adjustments there. Resize your movie to fit into the widescreen sequence.

Then export the sequence and choose Widescreen in the PAR drop-down menu. Choose DVD-MPEG2 as the preset BUT adjust the datarate to 8MBPS - to give yourself a better quality finished video. For audio, for NTSC, choose PCM.

If you're using Encore then simply create an NTSC disc. When you drop the movie into a new timline, the timeline will automatically recognize the widescreen format.

Argh! It's best to include about 5 seconds of black at the start - this is to give the DVD player time to set itself internally to recognize and make the necessary changes to playback the signal in widescreen

And don't forget to credit us in your Wedding Video's end credits!
:-))

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Aik Ming TeoRe: E: After effects output to DVD
by on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:29:31 pm

okay okay
It seems like Encore is the easy way out. so I'll just import to Encore and render frm there?

Is there any other way if I just have AE?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: E: After effects output to DVD
by on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:13:01 pm

[Aik Ming Teo] "Is there any other way if I just have AE?"

AE won't be able to burn the DVD for you. Perhaps you have another DVD-VIdeo app. If that's the case then just follow the same steps I mentioned earlier.

In AE, create an NTSC DV Widescreen comp and drop your movie in there. Apply Curves and increase contrast. Then fit the movie to the comp size - CTRL+ALT+F.

From AE, in the Output Module dialog, Set Quality to 5, choose CBR with a setting of 8MBPS. Folks may argue that you use VBR BUT for MPEG-2 encoding using the Main Concept encoder, VBRs will create poor-looking dissolves/transition.

The thing you want to be mindful of is that your DVD authoring software has to be allow for widescreen encoding as well as be able to detect the widescreen PAR within the movie. With Encore, this is done automagically.

You should get cracking ASAP and run a few tests on your DVD Player.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]