ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Perspective corner pin and adjustment layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raul Dederichs
Perspective corner pin and adjustment layers
on Oct 31, 2011 at 11:46:54 am

Hi,

I am sure this is and easy one for all you more expereinced guys out there... I am trying to adjust a piece of footage that has a very blown out window in it, I was thinking I can simply motion track the window using the perspective corner pin tool, then apply the tracking data on to an adjustment layer that has the color adjustments I require. However as soon as I apply the tracking data the adjustment layer will shrink down a copy of the layer underneith into the tracked shape and turn everything else outside of it black. What s the right approach? Many thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Perspective corner pin and adjustment layers
on Oct 31, 2011 at 4:21:03 pm

[Raul Dederichs] "However as soon as I apply the tracking data the adjustment layer will shrink down a copy of the layer underneith into the tracked shape and turn everything else outside of it black. What s the right approach?"

First off, the black that you're seeing is your comp's background color.

Secondly, you need to understand what an Adjustment Layer actually does. An Adjustment Layer is a unique layer in that any effect applied to it is applied to a concatenation (a composite) of all layers below it in the Timeline hierarchy. Hence, the Corner Pin that you applied to the Adjustment Layer was also applied to all layers below the Adjustment Layer.

What you can do is to apply the Corner Pin to a Solid and place it above the Adjustment Layer. Then apply the Alpha Track Matte (next to the Blending Modes option) feature to the Adjustment Layer. Thereafter, any effect that you apply to the Adjustment Layer will only affect the contents of layers below it, as defined by the Corner Pin data in the Solid Layer (track matte).

BTW, Mocha is almost always a better option for tracking, and more so for perspective tracking (Corner Pin tracking).

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Raul Dederichs
on Oct 31, 2011 at 6:04:32 pm

Thanks Roland!

You're a live saver! My AE knowledge is entirely based on Andrew Kramers tutorials and the little I have figured out by myself, sometimes it is difficult without help, I was looking at the adjustment layer more like a transparent layer in photoshop, the alpha matte was entirely new to me.
I'll be looking at Mocha soonest, for now my I have a deadline to meet and there is no time to get started with a new tool, my deadline is Wednesday!

Thanks again!

Greetings from Kenya

Raul

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 1, 2011 at 2:16:48 am

You're welcome Raul, I'm glad it worked out for you and that you picked up something new.

Greetings from Singapore! :-)
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]