ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering HD video at full resolution is choppy, but fine at half resolution

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew McCormacRendering HD video at full resolution is choppy, but fine at half resolution
by on Oct 30, 2011 at 11:37:50 pm

Hi there,

I have an issue with After Effects CS4, and at this stage i suspect its the weakness of my computer's processor/ram that is causing the disruption, but i'm not 100% sure:

I have a 4min30s video of full-HD footage from a Canon 5D MkII that im trying to render at best possible quality into an H.264 mp4 file.

The video is fine at half-resolution, it comes out perfect with no problems, except that it isn't at full resolution, which i need!

When I render at full resolution its choppy all the way through, as if the frame-rate has somehow been affected. I've looked around and read many forums etc, and Im now suspecting that my computer simply cant handle the workload at full resolution.

I have a 2ghz Macbook with 2gb ram.

Basically, I was wondering - if this is the case - Is there anything i can do with the render settings or the exported file settings that might make the render at full resolution produce a non-choppy final file? Some way of taking some stress off the computer or something.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Rendering HD video at full resolution is choppy, but fine at half resolution
by on Oct 31, 2011 at 1:38:25 pm

Here's why it's choppy at full res:

Now, I wouldn't really recommend rendering an H.264 file out of AE. Dave LaRonde explains why:
Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved