ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

ProRes Color shift between AfterEffects and FCP on PCs

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corrie ParksProRes Color shift between AfterEffects and FCP on PCs
by on Oct 30, 2011 at 3:57:34 am

I have been doing some AE animation for a videographer, working with his live action footage. He needs an animated painted transition that melts the image from Sc A which he can layer over Sc B.

He provided a ProRes HQ file of the last 3 seconds of Sc A for the transition. I work in AE CS5 on a PC so I can't get the ProRes codec, but the file opens just fine in AE. I have manipulated the footage and exported it as a quicktime file with Animation codec highest quality with an alpha channel (because it will be layered over other footage).

When he puts my file back in FCP, with my transition in place of the last 3 sec of his Sc A, there is a noticeable color jump from his footage to mine. My clips are lighter and a little less saturated. Sounds like it could be similar to the gamma issues I read in several other posts, but since I don't have ProRes or FCP, the solutions suggested don't seem to apply.

Or could it be the Animation codec causing the problem?

Is there a solution to the FCP/AE workflow between PC and Macs? Or in the future, should I ask videographers to not use ProRes for files I need to mess with in AE?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Return to posts index

Terry HahinRe: ProRes Color shift between AfterEffects and FCP on PCs
by on Jun 24, 2014 at 9:28:53 am

Hi Corrie,
did you ever solve this. I have this all the time as a PC AE user, but it's hard to find good answers in the mac centric video universe....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved