ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Depth of Field issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cristian van de Ven
Depth of Field issues
on Oct 29, 2011 at 1:03:12 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm working on a project involving the animation of my logo, and unfortunately the DoF which I implemented doesn't quite come out as I had hoped.
In After Effects itself the DoF-blur looks good, but when rendered, it looks jagged and just not the way I intended it to be.

Example:

http://i.imgur.com/fBZM8.jpg

The items that I'm using for the animation are vector images, so perhaps that's the issue? I'm not quite sure, so I'm hoping that someone might shed some light on this problem.

Thanks in advance,

- Cris

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Depth of Field issues
on Oct 29, 2011 at 7:31:53 pm

What are your output settings? Are you on best or draft output? What codec and bitrate?

Return to posts index

Cristian van de Ven
on Oct 29, 2011 at 9:14:17 pm

Best output, exported as H.264 with a bitrate of 0,6 Mbps with a max of 1.15 Mbps (VBR, 1 Pass).

Also tried exporting as Quicktime as both an animation and with the H.264 codec - standard settings. Both produced the same results.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 30, 2011 at 12:22:48 pm

It may just be that your preview in AE mislead you on the results. Some effects look different when previewed at half resolution- maybe that is your situation. If that is the case, then tweak the settings on a full preview at 100%.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Cristian van de Ven
on Oct 31, 2011 at 1:26:04 pm

[Tudor "Ted" Jelescu] "It may just be that your preview in AE mislead you on the results. Some effects look different when previewed at half resolution- maybe that is your situation. If that is the case, then tweak the settings on a full preview at 100%."

I edit at a quarter resolution because my composition contains over 500 individual items. To check if everything's in order and the DoF renders correctly, I switch to full resolution - this produces the top image in the image I enclosed in my original post. As you can see there's a gradually increasing blur, as proper DoF should have.

As a test I tried rendering the composition again, tweaking the setting a little, choosing a diffirent format / codec - but I'm still stuck with the same results:

http://i.imgur.com/kooG4.png

A jagged 'blur' and aliased items. Doesn't this have to do anything at all with the fact that all of those 'symbols' are vector (.ai) images?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 31, 2011 at 6:08:50 pm

That is weird, do you have any pre-comps without the continuously rasterize switch on? Do you have any effects applied on the vector layers? You may try and convert the AI to a PSD and see if the same thing happens with raster images as with the vectors.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Cristian van de Ven
on Nov 1, 2011 at 1:25:57 am

I've done as you suggested and replaced the footage with PSD's... however, the final render still shows that same, jagged depth of field blur.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Nov 1, 2011 at 9:59:14 am

Can you upload a collect of the project (simple version if it's a complex one, with just the camera and the vector layer) and I'll take a look.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]