ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

calibration ae and ppro cs 5.5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hans de vriescalibration ae and ppro cs 5.5
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 6:57:11 pm

Hi there!
I know this is a difficult subject, but who knows, maybe someone can help me out!
I have a video monitor via a firewire cable; from ppro it looks good, but from ae it is much too light. I have tried several color spaces in ae, but nothing brings the video monitor closer to what I see in ae itself; I could make the video monitor darker, but I calibrated it some time ago and if I start messing with it it will not match the image in ppro anymore. What I find strange is that in ae there are many possibilites to set or influence the color space, but in ppro there don't seem to be any.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Many thanks, and best regards,
Hans

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: calibration ae and ppro cs 5.5
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:22:49 pm

sounds realy strange.

first:
check if in the Preview-Windo on the little bottom-bar, in the right side, there is "Belichtung" (in german - should be F-Stop or so in english) is set to zero.

then:
how about in the programm-settings under preview.. or firewire-device.
is there a chance of setting stuff right? did you checkt it?

no more idears... sry
hope this helps
greetz
s

(take a step back, to see the bigger picture)

Return to posts index

hans de vriesRe: calibration ae and ppro cs 5.5
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:33:32 pm

Hi Stefan, thanks for your answer! The exposure is 0,0 and all the other settings I have been tweaking but without the result I was looking for (which is: my video monitor giving more or less the same image as the composition monitor in ae). Strange that ppro is without color management but it does give the right image..

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: calibration ae and ppro cs 5.5
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:44:40 pm

oh, i did not told you that i have it running here, and it DID NOT made any trubble at all!
MacPro --> FireWire --> Canopus ADVC300 --> TV
image on TV is, as it should be --> in PP and AE, eaven if i switch between them.
it was just plug´n´play

hope you´l get it to run!

(take a step back, to see the bigger picture)

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: calibration ae and ppro cs 5.5
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:03:07 pm

[hans de vries] "What I find strange is that in ae there are many possibilites to set or influence the color space, but in ppro there don't seem to be any."

After Effects has color management, and Premiere Pro does not.

If you'd like to see color management in Premiere Pro (as I would), please file a feature request [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:35:31 pm

Hi Walter, I'm not sure I want color management in ppro, because it only seems to make things more difficult; on the other hand, color correction tools but no way of setting a color space....

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: calibration ae and ppro cs 5.5
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 10:39:15 pm

if you have a color managed monitor, then simply use AE's utility-profile color converter and set it to the same as your monitor, then even if color management is off in AE, it will match PPro because it's now the same as your monitor's profile. You'll know its successful in AE when you turn off color management and apply the effect and there's no change at all.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2011 at 1:17:56 pm

Hi Chris, thanks for your answer! I made an adjustmentlayer over the whole project, put the effect to the layer and set it to sdtv pal; it surely looks much better; I have no way of checking if it is exactly the same as in ppro, all the different possibilities, also in the color profile effect, dazzle me.
I have one more question, if I may; in ae I was able to have the comp viewer switch over to the video monitor at playback; the comp monitor turns gray then, which is good because I think my footage is much too heavy to have playback on the comp monitor and the external video monitor at the same time; is there a way of doing the same thing in ppro? right now I can have playback in the viewer and a still image on the external video monitor; I would prefer to have no playback in the viewer and playback on the ext. video monitor; again, playback on both is, I think, out of the question.
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards,
Hans

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:23:53 pm

Wait, I think I found what I was looking for; unclick "desktop video display during playback". It just isn't working, probably because I'm trying to see Red's r3d's via firewire on a standard def. pal monitor. Funny thing is that in ae it does work, but that's maybe because it always has to make a ram preview in ae

And to go back to the first issue, turning on and off color space does affect the image in the comp monitor, but not on my ext. video monitor, so I assume that means the image in the video monitor should now be the same as in ppro!
(Oh, if only the world could see my footage as beautifully as it is in my video monitor! alas, cheap lcd's will ruin most of it)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]