ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Zomming in on video clip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan SerenoZomming in on video clip
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:59:24 pm

I have a 1080p video clip that I want to add a slight zoom in effect to give the illusion of the camera dollying in.
I don't want to zoom in on the clip so that the resolution goes under 720p

I tried animating the scale of the clip, but it seems like it's losing too much resolution, even though I'm only making it 20% bigger. To be 720 it would have to be around 44% bigger. But I don't need it that big, I'm happy with the 20% size increase but not the loss of resolution.

I think the problem might be because the clip is being stretched to 1080, instead of the actual composition shrinking to 720.

Is there any way to animate the composition size?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Zomming in on video clip
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 6:28:05 pm

Have you tried using AE's camera? Camera Mapping/Projection is another option although my thoughts are that a basic camera move should do the trick.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Alberto FernandezRe: Zomming in on video clip
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 4:25:47 pm

Yes you can Do it, check this out..!

This was done with Adobe After Effect CS4.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Zomming in on video clip
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:06:57 pm

Scaling up by that much will cause a loss of quality, no matter how you do it. You are forcing the software to make up (interpolate) new information to put in between the pixels of the original image.

Premiere Pro has higher-quality scaling algorithms than After Effects, so you might want to take your clip over to Premiere Pro just for upscaling. See this page for details about scaling in Premiere Pro.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Ryan SerenoRe: Zomming in on video clip
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:34:49 pm

Okay, I understand that scaling up will cause a loss in quality, but my question is, can I animate the composition resolution? That way the clip isn't changing size, but the composition window is just shrinking down

Return to posts index

Gary HazenRe: Zomming in on video clip
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:51:19 pm

[Ryan Sereno] " can I animate the composition resolution?"

What's your final output? DVD? HD File?

If your final output is for DVD you could set your comp at a standard def resolution(ex: D1 widescreen). You would have plenty of room for zooming in on the high res footage without losing quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved