ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adobe Bridge CS5 video clips question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph W. Bourke
Adobe Bridge CS5 video clips question
on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:39:07 pm

Now this seems like a very obvious need in Bridge, but I can't for the life of me find it, and I consider myself a Bridge power user.

I've looked everywhere I can imagine (metatda, file info), and nowhere can I see the runtime/duration of the video clip! It exists, I know it. I can look at the Length in Windows Media Player - it's there. I can look in the Quicktime player under Movie Inspector - it's there. Where the heck is it in Bridge? Am I missing something painfully obvious, or do I need to request it in needed features? It really should exist in Metadata, because then I could sort by clip length, and lots of other useful things. Thanks.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Adobe Bridge CS5 video clips question
on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:57:13 pm

There is a duration field in the XMP Dynamic Media properties. You can see this by using File Info in Bridge and navigating to the Advanced tab. But I don't see a way to get that field to show in the main metadata interface for Bridge. (I'm not an expert on Bridge, though, so I may be missing something.)

You can certainly show this data in After Effects and Premiere Pro in the Metadata panel. And there's also a "Media Duration" column in the Project panel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Oct 27, 2011 at 6:39:33 pm

Thanks Todd -

I can do that, but it requires multiplying the scale value times the time value, going a bit too far under the hood to make that info useful. I would have to write a script to work that math, and then, as far as I know, there are no custom fields in Bridge which would allow me to display this.

It would be most useful to just have the switch in Preferences in the Thumbnails/Details preference, to see that value right in the Bridge Browser if I wanted to. It would also be very useful to have that info show (maybe even in a "live" version) in the Preview window when I play a file, much the way it works in Windows Media Player, QT Player, or VLC Media Player (like the CTI, with total length as well). I'll submit this as a feature request.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 27, 2011 at 6:43:46 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "I'll submit this as a feature request."

YUP! I always thought that duration info was within the Preview pane. Duh! You may want to add that PPro's Media Browser have similar functionality.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Oct 27, 2011 at 6:56:52 pm

Yeah Roland -

I'm surprised that one of the most vital statistics of a video clip isn't shown in either place. What would be really cool, in addition to having a sort of CTI and clip length as part of the metadata, AND part of the preview pane, would be having the ability to mark in and out points in the metadata, which would then translate on import to AE or PPro.

I'm sure that's going waay too far beneath the hood, so I've put in a feature request for adding the Duration info to both Metadata (in the Video tab, of course), and to the Preview pane, to show both the Current Time in the playback, as well as the Duration/Length. I always assumed it was there as well. Double Duh!!!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]